Wheels and lug nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Druid

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a 2007 Expedition EL Eddie Bauer with the HD tow package. The truck has less than 100k and I have been working my way through basic maintenance. Now I'm turning my attention to the wheels/tires. Currently the vehicle has 255/70R18 tires, which are worn, and 18x7.5 wheels from a 2009-2012 F150 (the ones with spokes that look like box-end wrenches). I'm now looking to update the tires, going slightly wider/taller. Basically 275-305 in width, 33-34 height. This will be accompanied by a set of Rancho Quicklift struts (advertised +1.5" front, +.75" rear) and likely require newer, wider wheels (for 285+). This is fine, because I really don't like the look of the rims that are on there.

Among the possible replacements are various take-off rims folks are selling locally on Craigslist, plus a few on-line options, and I have two questions.

1. Several of the options I've seen and liked are 18" or 20" F150 or Expedition rims from later model years (2015+). I know the lug nuts from these years changed from M14/2 pitch (pre-2015) to M14/1.5. I've also read that Ford wheels require Ford-specific OEM nuts. Does anyone know if the early M14/2 OEM lug nuts will work with the later rims?

2. Another possibility is downsizing to 17" rims from the 2013-2014 Raptor (with slight rear trimming of the axle). It seems like these should fit, but can anyone confirm? When I check my current 18" wheels for clearance around the calipers and dust shield, I have less than 1/2" of space. This makes me a bit nervous about fitment, and had me wondering whether the HD tow package came with slightly larger brakes or something. I'm guessing the clearance problem is really about the design of the current 18" wheel, but would love some reassurance if it's to be found.

Thanks any and all for help or input.

Cheers,

Drew

View media item 6440

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Theres always SSV steelies with BFGs for the price conscious or plow-straight-thru drivers...

2017-09-05 22.46.52.jpg

They look somewhat less nasty with plastidip or bedliner and removed hubcaps

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you go with the factory Aluminum Wheels you can go with a set of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZSDGVGG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have the right bell end to fit the factory bevel. I bought a set from Amazon for $99, for my 05. I swapped them out with the capped nuts that the factory uses when I traded it. I was running 2010 Ford F150 King Ranch wheels on my 05 and these fit perfectly The new wheels on my 17 seem to have the same bevel they just use a different thread so I can't use the ones that I took off the old truck on the new truck. The chrome held up well which was nice too.

OP
OP
D

Druid

Reaction score
Hi Andy,

Thanks. I saw those nuts you linked to, which are for 2001-2014 wheels. The question is whether later 2015-2018 wheels share the same bell size/width (bevel is the same; 60 degrees) as the 2001-14 wheels. If they do, then these nuts can be used to mount late model wheels to the earlier expeditions with the M14/2.0 studs, which would be perfect. May have to try the local tire shop and see if they know.

Cheers,

Drew

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Andy,

Thanks. I saw those nuts you linked to, which are for 2001-2014 wheels. The question is whether later 2015-2018 wheels share the same bell size/width (bevel is the same; 60 degrees) as the 2001-14 wheels. If they do, then these nuts can be used to mount late model wheels to the earlier expeditions with the M14/2.0 studs, which would be perfect. May have to try the local tire shop and see if they know.

Cheers,

Drew
I'm taking my 17 in to the shop in the morning to figure out water leak inside the cab issue that I'm having, otherwise I would pull off one of the factory lug nuts and compare it to the chrome ones. If I get a chance to do that later in the day I will.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Andy,

Cheers,

Drew

Aside from the difference in pitch, the newer lugs are also 1/2" shorter. They are otherwise the same.