Where are these relays located?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2000 EB expedition. Looking for the door lock relays. Searching around the net has them either behind the radio, under the hood on the passenger side, or behind a trim panel in the drivers rear area. Anyone know without a doubt where they are?

B

bedrck46

Copied from the 2000 service manual

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
G

GaExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Bedrck46! Glad I asked before I went to digging around for them. I never would have looked there. Will report back when I get the chance to replace them.

OP
OP
G

GaExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looked for the relays today, but couldn't get the headliner down but a few inches to peek in with a flashlight. Unless they are tucked in behind something, I didn't see them. The reason I wanted to check them is because I'm having issues with the door locks. Sometimes when I hit the key fob to unlock them they sound extremely weak/underpowered, and if i hit the button a couple more times to keep trying to unlock them they just sound weaker or there is no sound at all like there is no power to them. Other times they may work just fine, or at least all but the drivers door. It very rarely works. Also, when I go to lock the doors, they still sound weak, but usually lock, BUT when the horn honks to let me know all the locks are down it sounds extremely weak also. Would really like to track down this problem and get them working again.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looked for the relays today, but couldn't get the headliner down but a few inches to peek in with a flashlight. Unless they are tucked in behind something, I didn't see them. The reason I wanted to check them is because I'm having issues with the door locks. Sometimes when I hit the key fob to unlock them they sound extremely weak/underpowered, and if i hit the button a couple more times to keep trying to unlock them they just sound weaker or there is no sound at all like there is no power to them. Other times they may work just fine, or at least all but the drivers door. It very rarely works. Also, when I go to lock the doors, they still sound weak, but usually lock, BUT when the horn honks to let me know all the locks are down it sounds extremely weak also. Would really like to track down this problem and get them working again.

sounds like an issue with the relay pack under the panel on the right side of the dash. (it's a big oval above the air bag) it controls the horn/lights when you use the key fob there is a thread about disabling the perimeter lighting that shows the rpo relay block but the lock relays may be there too.

pretty much, they are in the dash near the keyfob controlled relays

OP
OP
G

GaExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I will take a look there first chance I get. Weather is going to be bad here for the next few days.

B

bedrck46

You may have misread the print they are under the dash but looking again at the print I can see it is somewhat misleading

OP
OP
G

GaExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may have misread the print they are under the dash but looking again at the print I can see it is somewhat misleading

That's exactly what I did. Totally misread it. Glad I didn't take the entire headliner out! =D