Where do I find a NEW fuel tank?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Down here people are generally honest (except for the Nigerian princes) and the guy who sold me the vehicle let his son use it for college so for all I know the JB Weld fun fest could've been his son and the owner genuinely didn't know about it. I gave him the benefit of the doubt despite his not answering his phone when I called. But that one's hard to miss when it leaked everytime you got the tank past 3/4 full.

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well now I can't fault him for that. I don't expect a seller of a used vehicle to disclose anything.

I didn't expect him to volunteer anything - but when I ask I do expect the truth.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Brian, when you buy a car or a property, the salesman or owner is your best friend. But once the Benjamin's are in their hand, the friendships off. I've posted it here how many times, have a mechanic or yourself do a stem to stern inspection. Even doing that, crap hides. Like the first rainstorm, or in your case first top up of tank. You move along, fix the problems, and face another day. They'll be something else that will pop up in your life this week, it's just life!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Down here people are generally honest (except for the Nigerian princes) and the guy who sold me the vehicle let his son use it for college so for all I know the JB Weld fun fest could've been his son and the owner genuinely didn't know about it. I gave him the benefit of the doubt despite his not answering his phone when I called. But that one's hard to miss when it leaked everytime you got the tank past 3/4 full.
What heck, in that case I would've never known it was a problem. I haven't had a car above half a tank and decades.

WakeZone

Reaction score
Went thru this a while back, what a pain in the ars. There were no new tanks to be found anywhere. Thinking if I got one from a yard, how much longer til those tank fittings crack, also my tank is in good shape, other than the one fitting, why waste that. Considered JB 2-part marine grade adhesive but decided I wanted this to be a 1-and-done situation, so got off my wallet and bought AMS-S-8802 B2 fuel tank sealant from aircraft spruce for $37.50, (1) 3.5 ounce syringe will do all the fittings. B2 is a nasty-awesome fuel tank sealant that sticks to everything, cures to a hard rubber and lasts for decades.

Here's how I went about it (now 1.5 yrs, no issues)

1. Cap off water tight all openings and scrub the crap out of the top of the tank around all the fittings with Dawn soap, get rid of all oil/grease/fuel residue. Rinse and Let dry fully.

2. Lightly scuff all around each fitting with sandpaper or scotch brite. Do all the fittings while you have the tank dropped, there might be another crack waiting to open up.

3. Rubber gloves... Mask off connector nipples. Mix the B2 sealant per instructions, and spatula around fitting base flanges with a little extra pressed into any cracks.

Working time is 2 hours, cures to usable condition in 24hrs.

4. Ensure all fuel line connectors lock properly; trim sealant if required.

5. Install tank and get-to-gettin!

Cheers!

20180128_164435.jpg

Last edited: