Which 2nd gen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am looking to sell my '02 Ram and pick up another Expedition. My wife has a '98 and I like it enough I want to get rid of my truck and get another suv. I like the body style of the 2nd gen and don't want the payments of a new one so I have been looking at '03-'06 models. I just had a few questions. Didn't they change the engine from the 2V to the 3V between '03 and '04? I thought I had seen horsepower rating for both but can't seem to find them and a few websites had them both rated the same. I want the 5.4L but is there one that mods would be any more reasonable for, 2V vs. 3V, or does it make any difference? All I would want is a cold air intake and a tuner probably. I'm pretty picky in what I want so I may be looking for awhile. I just don't want to have options open that in the end I don't want. Are there any benefits or options from one year to another. One this I may want to do in the future is lower it just a couple inches and put some rims on it. Is the suspension the same across all these years or did they change it at all on any of them? Nothing too extreme, maybe just a 2/4 or 3/5 drop with some 22's, I can't have it drive to bad on our roads as it will occasionally be used to haul a boat and as a delivery vehicle. Thanks in advance. Sorry to be so long winded.

Victor

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they changed from 2v to 3v in 2005...i have an 04 and its 2v...from my knowledge which isnt much...the a/c panel is digital in 04 vs 03 where it is still manual knobs...same mods can be done on both...CAI...lowering...and everything else is the same...programmers and whatever else...the only difference suspension wise that i know of is dealing with air suspension...regardles of years...you find springs/shocks...springs/shocks on front with air suspension on the rear...then all 4 corners with air suspension like my truck...

so if youre wanting to drop/tuck...make sure all wheels are on springs...in the event you dont find all springs...theres the option to do air conversion to springs...then that wont give you the drop you want...i have my 24's for sale...$1500...no less than $1200 plus shipping...tires are 2 yrs old...rims are only a year old as there were new line-up for gianelle last year...plus shipping by freight which im being told is the cheapest

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as hp 2v is 260 and 3v is 300. For mods, if all your doing is cai and runner, then either is ok. If you were to decide later you wanted more, then go 2v. More options available. Like Freeway said as far as suspensions.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dont forget the 3v have a 2 piece spark plug

cbrown9064

Reaction score
3v is 300HP, but if it were me I would not waste any money on performance mods. These rigs are heavy (curb weight well over 5k) and are no speed demon. When I got my first 2nd Gen (2006 EB) I thought "this thing is a real dog", until I figured out how much it weights. Then it does pretty good!

By comparison my Mustang Cobra has 305HP and weights 3200. Big difference...

Chris