Which coil pack and spark plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fred Valdez

Reaction score
I'm experiencing some hesitation under load and through research it seems swapping in new coil packs and spark plugs will help with this. I bought a used 2008 with a 5.4. I'll confirm tonight when I pull 1 but does my motor have a curved coil pack or straight one... what spark plug? seems like it depends what color the boots are (brown or black)... just thought I'd get some opinions before I confirm later...thanks..

OP
OP
Fred Valdez

Fred Valdez

Reaction score
after my attempt to change plugs...I do have the straight coil packs with the black boots and the plugs seem to be unique (and expensive)...the plugs were stuck on pretty good and i thought they were pretty warm when I started to work on them...I got 6 done when I got to the rear plugs on the driver side (7 & 8)....#7 was especially hard but seemed to finally work its way off only to find the bottom portion of the plug still in the head. I sprayed wd40 in #8 and it felt easier to remove but it won't come out..I can turn the extension with socket by hand but no matter how much I turn, it doesn't want to come out (note: I use a normal 9/16" socket and then a magnet to pull plug)...in hindsight I should have read more on spark plug change before working on them. So I guess I need to find a lisle tool to finish this.

note: coil packs have the part number 3L3E-12A366-CA

outdare

Reaction score
I used a 3/4 pipe that I cut to get the crap out around my plugs on my 07. My socket wouldn't seat correctly on the spark plug. Also I used the yellow accel coils from summit. They have been in my truck for 2 years with no issues.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Ford tech bulletin recommends changing plugs, cold.

OP
OP
Fred Valdez

Fred Valdez

Reaction score
Better watch ford tech makuloco's vids on spark plug extraction.

thanks, I watched that over and over a few times...i have the lisle tool but i guess I have to screw it all the way til it bottoms out (the electrode pusher)...it just felt like as i'm pushing that it's actually pushing the whole plug deeper and possibly all the way thru and drop into head...i'll look at it again tonight..

outdare

Reaction score
It will crush the porcelain so you can unscrew the plug. I had to use a masonry drill bit to drill out the porcelain so I could get a bite on one.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk