Which oil for 22 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Full synthetic also helps with limiting carbon buildup over time on the valves
I’m not an expert, but I don’t think the valves where there is carbon build up are supposed to get any oil deposited on them.
Fuel additives might help with carbon build up, but almost all fuel today has some additive package that helps.
Oil from your engine should never be mixed with fuel though.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Loki - have you done any oil analysis on these ecoboost engines? I wouldn’t be surprised if we were good for anywhere from 8-10k miles depending on use. Personally I use a 6k change interval but its probably excessive.
I ran one at 1600m new for baseline through blackstone, a few other posts on this also. But you’re spot on. 6-8k miles even a bit more if you’re light is fine for these motors. Loki might have more context on the why.
ford’s oil life calculation is pretty decent, as it also adjusts to your driving style and use.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
After running engine oil analyses for many years I'm convinced that the "or X months" is a useless parameter when used with full synthetics and good oil filters. Factory service mileage interval is conservative based on my small sample. Oil sample at 7000 miles and 12 months on the Expedition including some travel trailer towing indicated the oil was good for several thousand miles additional use before replacement is needed. Yeah oil is cheap but good oil is still good oil.

-- Chuck

VBreithaupt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are getting free dealership changes for a year or two( my purchase it came with for a year) then use their oil! After that I highly recommend Amsoil full syn. along with their filters if you do it yourself. Great product and protection.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like the Mobil1 Truck and SUV for towing. When towing our 10,000 lb airstream, the expedition would burn some oil on regular mobil1 but never with the truck and suv. Full synthetic gives me peace of mind

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Loki - have you done any oil analysis on these ecoboost engines? I wouldn’t be surprised if we were good for anywhere from 8-10k miles depending on use. Personally I use a 6k change interval but its probably excessive.
Not on the 2020 Expedition, but did several on my Edge, and Explorer. The DI only 2.7 and 3.0 respectively. I drove them HARD, and they were tuned on Performance tunes. The Edge lived on a E70 tune for over a year before I traded it in, and the Explorer ran 1/2 the time on an E50 performance tune, and the other 1/2 the time on a 93 Performance tune. I did 3 analysis on each. All came back within specs, and the interval was recommended that I could extend. All 3 oil changes for each were done between 6-7K by the dealer with the Motorcraft Blend. I ran J&L Oil separators on both for what it is worth. So driven HARD, many 0-60 launches, and 1/4 mile runs, with Ethanol in the tank.

To summarize, and others have said it too:

Semi-Syn at minimum from a quality oil provider, and intervals based on driving habits and conditions. Doing 3K intervals, or even 5K Intervals is probably wasting money if you are driving normal, and not doing anything extreme, like towing regularly, or excessive idling.

The Motorcraft Semi-Syn has proven to be a good oil, and meets all the specs.

Enjoy!

blue_roster_cult

Reaction score
I use Schaeffers 9000 Full Synthetic at 9k-10k intervals, mileage over 150k. The top end is very clean inside. Though I’ve always used Motorcraft in every other Ford I’ve owned without issue.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use Schaeffers 9000 Full Synthetic at 9k-10k intervals, mileage over 150k. The top end is very clean inside. Though I’ve always used Motorcraft in every other Ford I’ve owned without issue.
What year Expedition do you own?