Will not start-Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FLJ01

Reaction score
I just purchased a '01 Exp.. with 5.4 with 60,000 miles.

Took it to the car wash and when I got in to start it, just turned over but would not start. I did not open the hood to wash. Towed it home.

Any suggestions where I should start?

ThankYou.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
A common problem is water in the spark plug valleys.

But, whenever a Ford cranks but won't start, you always have to check the fuel pump inertia cut off switch. (probably behind the passenger's side kick panel)

Nothing is worse than spending a day trying to figure out the problem, and then having your buddy press a button and solve the problem. Unless it's a mechanic that just charged you $89 to press that same button. :barf:

OP
OP
F

FLJ01

Reaction score
will not start

Thanks for your suggestions. I have checked the spark plug valleys and they are dry and I have reset the fuel pump intertia switch. Thanks again.
Here is what is happening this morning. I turned the key to on and all the guages went to max so I turned it off again. When I turned the key to on again it makes a slight dull "clunk" in the engine compartment. Then it still turns over but does not start. Any additional thoughts and comments will be appreciated. Thanks

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually when the gauges do a full sweep when the ignition is turned on, the battery is going bad/dead. I would test the voltage of the battery, give it a good charge if needed, and see if that helps. Have you tried jump starting it?

OP
OP
F

FLJ01

Reaction score
Expidition wont start

Thanks so much for your suggestion I have already recharged the battery and it has not helped. Please continue to comment as you think of possible solutions.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
clean all battery connections. do the headlights go dim while trying to crank the truck?

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your suggestion I have already recharged the battery and it has not helped. Please continue to comment as you think of possible solutions.

Have you checked the voltage? If it is bad, they usually won't hold a charge. Might want to check the grounds too.

OP
OP
F

FLJ01

Reaction score
Expedtion wont start

I have replaced the battery with a new one and the connections are good, voltage is good, engine cranks good and it still does not start. I appreciate your suggestions but I am still in the dark.

TxOutlaw

Reaction score
Sounds like a fuel pump or fowled spark plugs to me... Normally you would have warning with a fuel pump and also miss firing before all plugs fowled out...

Strange...

steves

Reaction score
Fuel filter maybe. It would be unusual if it clogged completely, but if you hit it with the spray nozzle maybe?????? They are cheap and easy to change!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1