Wind noise from driver's door?

Do you have loud wind noise from your driver's window?

• Yes

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sulatek

Reaction score
My last car was extremely quiet going down the highway, where the Expedition has LOTS of wind noise from the driver's door.

As far as I can tell it is NOT the large mirror but the gap between the window weather stripping and the window glass itself. There is a lip on the weather stripping that goes away from the glass, presumably to make it easy for window to slide into place. Passenger window had some lip on the weather stripping, so doesn't seem to be a defect.

EDIT: Mine is a 2017 XLT

Yes, I suffer from this a lot, especially since I have a problem of tinnitus

Many cars in different countries of manufacture and brands have this problem Sometimes as a result of some misuse, such as opening the car window while it is traveling at high speed and then closing it again I think the best solution for manufacturers is to lower the metal top and slightly increase the side or use reinforced rubber

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just turn fan on to bring in fresh air and turn air nozzles away from my face. That increased inside air pressure so noise is exhaust and not throwing noise inside to my ears. Have always done this to keep inside quieter.

llhoneymoons

Reaction score
I had this same issue on my 2016, but had them address it immediately while under warranty. If I remember correctly from 4 plus years ago, it was actually the weather stripping on the left, rear door (top), but right at the front, by the driver's door, which is why I heard it so clearly.

MTShooter

Reaction score
My last car was extremely quiet going down the highway, where the Expedition has LOTS of wind noise from the driver's door.

As far as I can tell it is NOT the large mirror but the gap between the window weather stripping and the window glass itself. There is a lip on the weather stripping that goes away from the glass, presumably to make it easy for window to slide into place. Passenger window had some lip on the weather stripping, so doesn't seem to be a defect.

I have a 2015 EL XLT as of a few months ago, purchased with about 91k miles on it, and my driver and passenger window noise is quite noticeable, but only in the front. The rear windows don't seem to be an issue.

It definitely sounds like it's coming from the top of the window, not the door, but I will check the window and door weather stripping based on the feedback here.

developer

Reaction score
I'm glad I joined here. This is a real issue. I have a 2016 Expy XLT and there is varying air leakage from all 4 windows. I've actually had people ask me if I had a window or door open.

After purchase, I took it to back to Ford, and they *********** all they could to make believe they couldn't hear anything. It caused me a bit of grief and has turned me off to future versions. This was my 3rd in a sequence of Bronco, Expy and Expy. I will give you what I found from my research. If the noise doesn't bother you, or you lease and don't care, that's fine. I paid big $ for my truck. It shouldn't do this. Technology from my last Expy (99) has gotten much better. It should not have this problem, and a lot of other owners don't have it.

Ford designers obviously took great care to minimize noise. Mine has a special sound-reducing windshield. The doors have double weatherstrip between the frame and the doors. I found all of the wind noise coming from where the glass meets the weatherstrip in the window channel. There is a really easy way to confirm it in yours. Just take a rag, sweater, whatever, and hold it up against the window channel while driving. In mine, the noise went away. Part of the issue is locating the source, because the sound reflects all over the place inside the truck.

I was able to find a thin, felt-like weatherstrip which I added to the window channel (self-stick on one side). This fixed the problem completely, but as time went on, the weatherstrip flattened and the problem came back. Using a thicker weatherstrip will not work because the power windows sense current rise, so if the window is pushing too hard on the weatherstrip before coming to the end of its travel, then the (BCM?) senses there is a resistance to closing and mistakenly thinks there is an object in the way. As a safety feature, it reverses the motor and lowers the window.

Based on everything I could find, I believe that the problem is that the window glass is not aligned properly from the factory and it will not seat into the weatherstrip evenly. That creates air gaps. Those little air gaps get worse as the weatherstrip ages. I believe that the corrective action (unfortunately) is to replace all the window channel weatherstrip with new, pull the door panel and align each window glass where it attaches to the regulator so there is a proper seating along the top and leading edge. Sadly, that is a bit of work that we as owners should not have to do. I will do it one of these days because I keep my vehicles on average for 10 or more years. I just haven't had the time to tackle it yet.

Try the rag test. See if your source is the same as mine, and please post your experience with this.

OP
OP
C

CubSmurf

Reaction score
Makes me wonder if the previous owner had Vent Visors on the windows or something. Might grab a cheap pair and see if that closes the gap.

Though they aren't my favorite mod. Does anyone make low-profile ones that don't make me look like I borrowed Grandpa's truck? :D

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Yea i have the same issue on the same expy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Makes me wonder if the previous owner had Vent Visors on the windows or something. Might grab a cheap pair and see if that closes the gap.

Though they aren't my favorite mod. Does anyone make low-profile ones that don't make me look like I borrowed Grandpa's truck? :D
Sounds like a band aid.

OP
OP
C

CubSmurf

Reaction score
Sounds like a band aid.
You're right, but it would at least potentially confirm the issue and provide data for a more long term solution. The other solution is to tear apart the doors and install new weather stripping, which I'm not prepared to do. Yet.

Thanks for helpful comment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65