Wind noise is sooooo annoying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrasmussen

Reaction score
So I read, either on here or someplace else, that inserting surgical tubing into the door weather-stripping would help the weather-stripping retain in new, fuller shape, thereby stopping any wind noise.

Well, I cannot get the freaking surgical tubing into the weather-stripping, its a real pain.

So, I just ordered, from the ford dealer, both passenger and driver side replacements.

Do you guys think that will fix the issue, or is the doors out of alignment which could cause some wind noise.

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its hard to say. Had a post a week ago about a guy with a passenger side front noise after some body work.

I am tech challenged so can't pull it up for you.

It could be a number of things, rubber gasket being one.
also there is a liner under the door cover. This was one suggestion to check
My case was a window not going all the way up. A new Dorman window regulator fixed that.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to have a passenger ride with you. Use either a stethoscope or a piece of hose. Have your passenger run either device up and down to narrow down noise while driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mrasmussen

Reaction score
I'll report back after I install the 2 weather strips (driver and passenger)

hopefully for $250 it fixes the problem

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad you figured it out.

OP
OP
M

mrasmussen

Reaction score
so my experience is different than Wilson's. I replaced both weatherstrips (driver and passenger) and what I noticed was the driver side is much quieter, still not as quite as newer cars, but no whistling which is good. The passenger side is a different story, it sounds WORSE than it did, it now whistles which is didn't do before.

So, I am going to leave the two new weatherstrips in place but I am going to try to insert some surgical tubing into the passenger side to fix that whistling.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your issue on passenger side might be door alignment. Has that door been adjusted/ car in wreck?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mrasmussen,

You don't say what year your Expedition is, but I know on my '05 there are multiple door gaskets. There is the one that goes around the opening, there is one that goes in the gap around the top of the door frame and there is one that is on the bottom edge of the door (if I remember correctly.) Some of the air noise could be the window seals and tracks.