Windshield washer not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slhanks4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2008 XLT. Went to use the windshield washer on Saturday and nothing came out of the jets. Filled the reservoir and the rear washer worked, but not the front. Undid the hose at the coupler near the firewall, washer fluid pumps out just fine. When I put an airhose to it, I can hear air escaping under the cowling(?) before it reaches the spray jets. I'm guessing my hose is split/broken.

In order to access the hose in the cowling, I need to remove the wiper arms and the black plastic cowling cover. Is there a trick to removing the wiper arms? I see there is a plastic cap that covers the stud/nut that holds the arm on. I can remove the nut, but I'll be darned if I can get the arm to slip off the stud.

Any suggestions?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had good luck using a battery terminal puller tool. Remove the nut, slip the joints over the bottom edge of the wiper arm and twist the center nut handle to tighten.

The tool is very inexpensive and available at most auto part stores. The small size makes it perfect to also remove the wiper arm.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If above doesn't work, try removing the studs *then* flip the arms up 90°, like you would when you clean the windshield at a gas station. The arms seem to come off much easier when in the folded position for whatever reason.