Yes... gonna make a tank outa my Expo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
On top of the other beefy updates I've done to my Expo. I've decided to replace the OEM (2L1Z17757BA) Bumper Reinforcement with a fabbed unit made from 1/4 steel.

Beyond that, I'm also making a 'pre-bumper' for the front out of solid 2x2 square stock that will go the entire width of the front with some 1/4 plate reinforcement and will mount using the existing tow hook mounting locations.

This will be a winter project and will upload pics of the final products once I have them.

My current project is the 52" curved light bar brackets that I am designing and fabbing myself. I've got the final stencil cut and finished out of stainless. Tomorrow I head to the steel yard to pick up the final gauge sheet I will use for the actual brackets and the stock for my pre-bumper.

THEY ARE STOUT and will mount inside the door channel for cosmetic and security reasons.

------

Earlier today I converted my 3rd brake light to LEDs and added a flasher unit to it as well. It came out quite nicely. The 3rd brake light is now updated to current technology and garners more attention from those behind me.

(4 quick flashes and 4 slower flashes. All with 10 seconds or less. Before going on solid.)

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Solid 2x2 stock with 1/4" plate? It's gonna be heavy.

The bumper on my Explorer is mostly 3/16" plate and it's pretty heavy- but stout. I smashed it into a rock in the trail this weekend and it's fine. I just need to break out the rattle can to touch up the paint.

9D6053D7-322D-4205-96B7-4513CA961488.jpg
d51987c417284b1d3e3959ba41bc6fdb.jpg
807eea2befaac51a54f1785a7eb0c884.jpg

OP
OP
CertusExpo

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply ExplorerTom. I plan on fabbing a front bumper like yours in the future (My kids bought me a stick/tig welder - plasma cutter for my birthday) but for now, the beefy pre-bumper will have to do.

I've decided the best course of action will be to use the 1/4 sheet to make a 'U-saddle' that wraps around three sides of the frame where the whole thing will bolt up to the tow hook mounts so that it won't simply bend or shift at impact. Then the 2x2 square stock will be welded to the 1/4" sheet as it extends forward of the tow hook area with two 1/4 impact points made/bent/beveled to match the two flat areas on the front of the plastic.

(Pic) Pre-bumper impact point gussets.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire