06 rear blower won’t cut off with ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Roindhouse

Reaction score
4CB12CE8-593A-44BE-9BCE-EBB2ECE85052.jpeg

this is the trigger wire for the blower motor relay

the blower power from fuse 107 is the one just to the top and right of the test probe

ignition switch is off

this trigger wire is powered by fuse 5 which runs the front climate control system, I can hear a blend door or something groan, in the front by the trans hump when fuse 5 is removed and installed
why is fuse 5 hot all the time?

im guessing a problem with the main automatic temp control on the dash?

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But you say that the front blower turns off as it should when the key is turned off ? Does the AC head unit turn off as it should? I wonder if the front head unit is suspect.

Fuse #5 powers the front head unit. It's just hot all the time. Not sure why.

If you go in the fusebox there at the passenger kick panel and pull the front blower relay out what does the rear aux blower do? 'Cause my Ford manual ( wiring diagram book...) shows the yellow/red wire coming off the front blower relay there in the fusebox.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Roindhouse

Reaction score
correct, the front blower shuts off when the ign is switched off, and the temp control panel goes off.

pulling the front blower relay, #6, doesnt affect the rear blower.

i cant see real good behind the fusebox, but it looks to me like the yellow/red wire from the rear bypasses the fusebox and goes to the center of the dash.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's Ok, I can't read wiring diagrams real good anyway. It's kinda pointing to the EATC head unit maybe being at fault? Since you're also hearing all the noise from the door actuators groaning. Did they happen to have one at the salvage yard you could try ?

OP
OP
R

Roindhouse

Reaction score
I can check, although the hillbilly in me just says cut the yellow wire near the fusebox and add a relay with a trigger from a nearby wire that is activated by the ign

happened at the same time that the front blower speed control went bad.
and the battery went dead and wouldnt take a charge.
maybe a voltage spike or something?

also the DVD player in the roof was making some weird noises when the ign was turned off.

which fuse runs it?

I got all kinds of gremlins.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's not a DVD in the unit is there? You can drop it down and unplug the harness pretty easy.
If you can get a EATC head unit from the salvage yard or eBay I'd do that before rigging up more relays and risking more problems.

I imagine you have the dual zone head unit on your A/C ?

OP
OP
R

Roindhouse

Reaction score
no DVD but its always hunting for it.

yes the front AC has the fancy dual zone auto temp control

do you know what year dash controls are compatible with an 06?

all this makes me miss my old cars with the knobs and cables and no computers.
we got this one cheap last year, $3,500 from the guy that paid $51K for it new in 2006, only has 90K miles on it.

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know what color your interior is, but the overhead DVD players are still available for the Gen2 Expies. But if nobody is ever back there that would use it I would just unplug the harness at the player and be done with it.

That's a great price for a low mileage '06. Except for the cam phaser / timing chain problems the early 3V motors had you should get many years out of it. My '03 2V motor has 215k on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Roindhouse

Reaction score
No one ever uses it.wish it wasn’t there,
I’ve bashed my head on it several times
But I plug my iPhone into the aux port for music and podcasts thru the speakers
Should be able to get a Bluetooth adapter to take the place of the CD changer in the console.
I did that with the wife’s 99 beetle, replaced the CD changer with a Bluetooth
Just spent more than it’s worth to replace the clutch and timing belt, but you can’t find a turbo diesel 5 speed beetle in good condition, and we’ve had this one for 12 years.

This expy spent its life sitting next to the ocean in Florida
So it’s crusty.
There’s no visible rust on the body but one of the hood hinges just came off the fender cause the fender was so thin.
I buy vehicles that are 6-8 yrs old, usually at an auction with around 100k on em, drive them to around 200-250k and sell it for whatever I can get.

my brother does just the opposite, he buys a brand new 4wd suv or crew cab every 4 years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Roindhouse

Reaction score
Ok I think it’s fixed

I replaced
The front speed controller with a new one and that solved the problem with the front

I replaced the electronic control panel in the dash with a used one from a junkyard and now the rear one cuts off when you cut the ignition off

also had to replace the battery
Dunno if the car had some kind of power surge from the battery shorting out or what

weird and weird