'07 Plug replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replace the plugs today, truck had 120,000 on it when I got it. Now has 134,000, multiple misfires and loss of power. No vehicle history on maintenance. All eight broke, had the Lisle 700 tool, pulled the metal 9/16" plug sleeve off of the plugs ceramic on all but one. Hardest part was breaking off the remaining ceramic on the back two plugs. Ending up using a socket that just fit over the end of electrode tip to gain leverage to snap ceramic so could use tool to push ceramic down and then use extractor that threads into remaining metal sleeve. Dealer wanted 100 per plug to remove, plus labor if they broke. Guessing it would have been a 1,500 bill all said and done. Found corrosion up inside two of the coils where the spring attaches. Running good now, hope this helps others doing this repair. The newer Lisle 700 included a third tool that was designed to push over electrode tip to remove the top of plug but did not work, so stick with the original Lisle 600.

OP
OP
Motorcity muscle

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Eddie, not a simple job the first time extracting broken plugs, but the last few went lot quicker than the first ones. Do not think adding any lube or carb cleaner helped, the tips were dry after extraction and rust colored.

Traveler

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed new plugs in my 07 Eddie Bauer at 157,000. Didn't break one plug. Its not as hard as I thought it was going to be. I searched the internet, and asked several mechanics who frequented the NAPA store where I work. The keys are to:

1) Run very heavy on the fuel injector cleaner for a couple weeks prior to the job. This helps loosen up any carbon that may be on the plugs.

2) Do the job with the Engine at operating temperature. This one freaked me at first to.. I mean.. Its HOT! But at operating temperature the carbon is softer, more likely to give, and the plugs are more likely to come out easily.

3) When applying torque to the plugs make sure the extension is straight on the plug, no sideways pressure. Hold the top of the ratchet in place with one hand and apply torque with the other. I've also seen people use very small impact wrenches but I'd be leery of that. Just my personal opinion.

4) and of course always use anti-seize when installing new ones.

I know anyone can look all this info up just as I did, and the original poster probably did, but for those who are fearing the task, it isn't as horrifying as its been made out to be.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I did my original plugs on my 07 Explorer, I broke them loose and then soaked them in carb cleaner. I used a click style torque wrench set to 35lbs, the idea was any that made it click I was going to tighten back down a bit and re-soak the plug. Only had to do it on 1 and the second time it came right out. After the plugs were replaced I changed the oil and was good to go!

OP
OP
Motorcity muscle

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I did my original plugs on my 07 Explorer, I broke them loose and then soaked them in carb cleaner. I used a click style torque wrench set to 35lbs, the idea was any that made it click I was going to tighten back down a bit and re-soak the plug. Only had to do it on 1 and the second time it came right out. After the plugs were replaced I changed the oil and was good to go!
Did try different methods of soaking with carb cleaner and penetrant. After the first two broke anyway, did not waist time with the rest and just removed them and did the last six in less time that the first two took. If you have the tool it is an easy process.

Zitril

Reaction score
This is all some good info, I plan to change my plugs soon and it is good to know how much the dealer was saying. I know how difficult this job can be. Still plan on doing myself cause then I will trust that it was done and done with anti-seize. I have heard of places charging for new plugs and not doing them cause of the likelihood of breaking them

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is all some good info, I plan to change my plugs soon and it is good to know how much the dealer was saying. I know how difficult this job can be. Still plan on doing myself cause then I will trust that it was done and done with anti-seize. I have heard of places charging for new plugs and not doing them cause of the likelihood of breaking them
If they have been replaced already, you don't have to worry about them coming apart. The factory plugs were crimped, the new replacement ones are welded. I wouldn't think there are many out there that have the factory plugs left, my 07 explorer started misfiring under load at 67,000 miles way back in 2013.

Zitril

Reaction score
If they have been replaced already, you don't have to worry about them coming apart. The factory plugs were crimped, the new replacement ones are welded. I wouldn't think there are many out there that have the factory plugs left, my 07 explorer started misfiring under load at 67,000 miles way back in 2013.
I dont know the past repair history on mine, I only got it 4 months ago, and I am going through checking all possible problems.