09 Expedition EL Expansion valve replacement procidure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all, The Father-in-law (ASE Mech) and I have done a bunch of troubleshooting and boiled down my AC issues to the expansion valve.

He is going to look up to book time and procedure to replace the expansion valve on the front and rear, but I was wondering if anyone has done this and if there are any tips or tricks not listed to make things easier.

It looks like the front valve is buried just inside the firewall to where I can reach it from the outside. I'm worried that its going to require me to remove the dash. . .

20210406_092018.jpg

20210406_092033.jpg

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure on location of expansion valve, what are the operating pressures in the a/c system? Do not think both vales would fail at once. May be able to help with some more info, I am a retired refrigeration guy.

OP
OP
M

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The front valve is shown in the picture above. It is half buried in the firewall. I called the Ford dealer and they said its 1.5 hours per txv, and 1.8 for the evac and recharge.

On the front TXV I was confused how they could get to the rear fasteners with no access from the cab. Turns out there are no fasteners on that side.

You remove the single center bolt to gain access to the two other fasteners that allow you to remove it from the evaporator.

As for both valves going bad, I agree. But if I'm going to have the system open, I'm going to replace both. The concern is one of the valves is sticking open.

It was smashed not long ago so the condenser is new, dryer is new, fan clutch is new, and it got a proper recharge. The ac is lacking and I don't remember the pressures, but the in-law said weak pump or sticky txv. I'm going to say txv because sometimes it will absolutely freeze you out, but most of the time it won't. the vent Temps vary widely. The back is generally cool and doesn't vary too much I think, but I dont want to cheap out now only do it another 10k miles down the road.

The plate shown in the picture goes on first around the connections on the evaporator, then you put the TXV in place and attach it with the 2 fasteners. Then you install the other connections on the front and attach it with the single center bolt.

20210408_202059.jpg

Last edited:

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The info helps, so system was open from crash, was system evacuated and new drier installed after condenser was replaced. If system was not evacuated/drier replaced the system would work until the moisture freezes up the at the TXV and then cannot adjust to the load.

OP
OP
M

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The truck was repaired by a very reputable shop. They replaced the condenser and the desiccant pack that goes into it because the dryer is attached to the condenser. I would imagine they vacuumed the system down for a period of time to remove the moisture but you can never be too sure I guess.

The truck does have a little over 180k miles on it and in our climate the AC is used in the winter months even, lol.

hamzill

Reaction score
Did you replace the valve? I want to know how to access the valve from the inside? Do we need to remove the dashboard? Or can this be done fromm the engine bay.
The front valve is shown in the picture above. It is half buried in the firewall. I called the Ford dealer and they said its 1.5 hours per txv, and 1.8 for the evac and recharge.

On the front TXV I was confused how they could get to the rear fasteners with no access from the cab. Turns out there are no fasteners on that side.

You remove the single center bolt to gain access to the two other fasteners that allow you to remove it from the evaporator.

As for both valves going bad, I agree. But if I'm going to have the system open, I'm going to replace both. The concern is one of the valves is sticking open.

It was smashed not long ago so the condenser is new, dryer is new, fan clutch is new, and it got a proper recharge. The ac is lacking and I don't remember the pressures, but the in-law said weak pump or sticky txv. I'm going to say txv because sometimes it will absolutely freeze you out, but most of the time it won't. the vent Temps vary widely. The back is generally cool and doesn't vary too much I think, but I dont want to cheap out now only do it another 10k miles down the road.

The plate shown in the picture goes on first around the connections on the evaporator, then you put the TXV in place and attach it with the 2 fasteners. Then you install the other connections on the front and attach it with the single center bolt.

OP
OP
M

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So to update this thread.

I replaced both the front and rear TXVs. The job was super simple and was 100% external.

I washed and dried the area around the valve to avoid getting any dirt in the system.

Loosen the single bolt threaded onto the stud and you can pull the AC line away from the txv, this will give you access to the 2 longer bolts (T30). Remove those and you will be able to remove the old valve.

Reverse the steps to install.

Replacing my THX in the front and rear greatly improved the AC performance of both sides. It went from 65f+ vent temps to 50f flat vent temps in the same weather conditions. I feel it could still be better and with over 200k on the original compressor I think it might be a little weak.

peterwells

Reaction score
Quick question - where is the rear TXV is located, vehicle is 2008 EL model.

Thank you,

Peter

Last edited: