1.5 Million Ford Vehicle Recall Announced for 6 Speed Violent Downshifts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When was Ford bought by China?

I was being sarcastic, at first, but after playing on the internet I see many parts for main brand cars are made in China and so no vehicle is safe from not only flakey parts it will seem the parts warranties will tell customers "tuff nuggies" when problems arise. It is the ignoring customer satisfaction, like any good Communist/Dictator, that makes me think China has controlling interest in major car brands.

https://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/06/is-your-car-really-american/

Political rant off!

Last edited:

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like no Expeditions are recalled. Which translates to “There aren’t as many units so we will just ignore that model”.
More specifically, there have not been sufficient enough complaints to the government to trigger the recall ! I guarantee, it is the exact same transmission, built in the same transmission plant (pretty sure they come out of Livonia) with the exact same software.

Now those of you who have knowledge of these thing might wonder, "How in the H-E-double-hocket sticks can software fix a bad sensor ?" Having "been there", the fix is likely going to be something like this. We all know it is impossible for transmission to have a zero output shaft speed if the rear wheel are turning. The ABS knows the rear wheels are turning so they send that "speed" to the powertrain computer (likely a fraction of a second delay). The logic in the transmission software says something like "Oh, look, the output shaft speed just went from X to zero, but we are going to wait until we get confirmation from the ABS before doing anything !" (Yes, it is possible to go from X to zero instantaneously when you lock the brakes up.)

Furthermore, the software goes into a kind of a limp home mode, delaying any shift until the vehicle speed is confirmed by the ABS and lights the light on the dash board. So the fix of changing the software was cheap and the customer still gets stuck with the bill to change the lead frame and output shaft speed sensor !

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The other odd thing is why did it take from 2011 to figure out there was a problem given the huge F150 sales volume?

It didn't. Recalls are generally initiated when a company can no longer keep a problem quiet and/or when the liability costs associated with keeping quiet exceed those associated with acknowledging the problem.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It didn't. Recalls are generally initiated when a company can no longer keep a problem quiet and/or when the liability costs associated with keeping quiet exceed those associated with acknowledging the problem.
Nope. Government involvement,

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, a tranny that goes from 6th to 1st, in one shot. That would sure wake you up! The damage to so many parts by the transmission doing that. Over revving the engine big time, strain on the driveshaft, rear differential, etc. Hard to fathom the scary moment when it happens. Especially if the wife is driving.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope. Government involvement,

We can add that to list of motivating factors. No argument here. That said, cost analysis is still a driving force there as well. The government can be bought just like everything else.

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"(Yes, it is possible to go from X to zero instantaneously when you lock the brakes up.)"

My 08 XLT will not lock the wheels. I complained about having a "soft brake pedal" after first purchasing this vehicle. Ford rep drove with me and slammed pedal, time after time, for panic stops and never slid the tires once. He also disclaimed the soft pedal claim saying pedal felt "normal" to him. I even drove other newer XLTs and they had the same "soft pedal" and would not slide tires. I would guess sensing instant zero speed is not possible because of a panic stop situation, at least in 08 and later. Not unless it is a faulty sensor/computer error.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We can add that to list of motivating factors. No argument here. That said, cost analysis is still a driving force there as well.
You have NO IDEA what the current PowerShift transmission issues with the Focus have cost Ford ! Likely beyond $100M

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, a tranny that goes from 6th to 1st, in one shot. That would sure wake you up! The damage to so many parts by the transmission doing that. Over revving the engine big time, strain on the driveshaft, rear differential, etc. Hard to fathom the scary moment when it happens. Especially if the wife is driving.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

This is another reason I hate the new 6 and 10 speed trans.
In all my years of driving and working on cars, I have never seen a trans shift down to low at speed!
I have seen some go into 3rd and some not shift up but that's about it.
Just the way they were made. It just doesn't really happen.
Now with too much electronic control (instead of what I will call electronic DIRECTION) they will shift if they are told to.
Electronic systems are one of the least consistent and durable parts of cars at least in my opinion so don't design them to where they can cause damage when/if they malfunction.

Now look at it this way...The ones that don't get fixed or are not part of "official" recall....a few years down the road many will malfunction and damage engines, need trans rebuild etc...all at owner's expense.

Lousy I tell you.

Give me my 4R100 back or even 4R70/75W.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Electronic systems are one of the least consistent ...
I dispute that statement ! Computer controlled systems are the MOST consistent systems ! They only do what they have been programmed to do.

... and (least) durable parts of cars ...
If you are referring to the sensors and actuators (solenoids) those are electro-mechanical items are are prone to normal "wear and tear".

... so don't design them to where they can cause damage when/if they malfunction.
Now we are down to the real issue ! All complex systems have a "failure modes and affects analysis" (FMEA) document that describes what happens when a component fails. I am sure that document says if the output shaft speed sensor fails, the vehicle will shift to first gear regardless of the actual vehicle speed ! While this is a potentially dangerous situation for both the driver and the rest of the vehicle the likelihood of it happening was determined to be extremely low. This is the crux of the problem.

I don't know for 100% certainty, but I will bet that the output shaft speed uses a sensor very similar to the engine speed sensor (for determining spark advance and fuel pulses) and wheel speed for ABS so it is well proven technology. Except that those other sensors are made by other companies and use slightly different internal components. I am betting the issue has to do with the epoxy used to seal the sensor. (Not the first time a similar failure happened.)

Now with too much electronic control (instead of what I will call electronic DIRECTION) ...
Actually allowing the computer outputs to decide DIRECTION, even a not-desired direction (like reverse when you want forward) seems more dangerous to me. Early electronically controlled transmissions still had a "manual valve" that determined direction.

The ones that don't get fixed or are not part of "official" recall....a few years down the road many will malfunction and damage engines, need trans rebuild etc...all at owner's expense.
Sadly true, although engine/transmission/rear axle damage are very unlikely.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze