1000 mile trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69Hcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I usually run about 5 extra. Make sure to check with tires cold before you drive it.

B

bedrck46

I usually run about 5 extra. Make sure to check with tires cold before you drive it.

Just curious 5 extra for what you normally run as example If someone normally runs 32 psi 5 extra would be 37 psi but if someone normally runs their tires at max pressure then 5 extra may be too much plus do you account for the tires heating up as you drive thus increasing air pressure or do you keep stopping to adjust for that, thus lowering your pressure.

B

bedrck46

that's my point as he doesn't say what he bases his starting point from Not to insult you, but your saying "I think he means" is just a guess on your part.
Again running 5 psi over max and him saying when cold that would mean if a tire has a max of 35 psi then you would be running 40 psi cold.
What happens when the tires heats up from doing 70mph for hours on end. Do you risk possible tire failure due to over temp and high psi?

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The vehicle maker states the recommended cold pressure on the door jamb (Ex. 35psi. cold ) based on what gives the best balance between comfort, noise and wear for that particular vehicle as it came from factory. It also allows for the variation in pressure when hot and cold.
The tire maker lists the MAX tire pressure on the sidewall of the tire. Most tires for trucks and SUV's have a rating of about 44-50 psi. This is also based on cold temp and allows for flucuations in temperature.
Adjusting the door jamb pressure up 5 lbs isnt going to cause any major problems but adding 5 lbs to the MAX pressure on the sidewall is not recommended.

Matt

B

bedrck46

[QUOTEAdjusting the door jamb pressure up 5 lbs isnt going to cause any major problems but adding 5 lbs to the MAX pressure on the sidewall is not recommended. Matt[/QUOTE]

Thanks Matt

69Hcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I meant 5 over the door jamb sticker. Never go over max or will come apart on the highway. Pumping it up to max when cold is gonna give you a rough ride but should still be safe. Will probably wear the center of the tire a little more over time.

B

bedrck46

that was why I posted as you didn't stat which pressure and it was somewhat misleading glad you straightened it out

Limited'08

Reaction score
working at a tire store, i can tell you that we always keep psi at what the factory recommends for all vehicles unless the customer specifies different. even with plus sizing, we go by the factory specified psi. if you're worried about the air expanding while driving, i would recommend you get nitrogen put in your tires instead. i run oversized tires in my Expo and also run about 40 psi all nitrogen and don't have any issues with fluctuation. i just made a trip from Memphis to Fort Walton Beach non-stop and had no driveability issues or tire pressure issues at all. i've always heard that running a little more air in your tires gives you better gas milage so i guess that's why i do it. good luck on your trip.

B

bedrck46

good information One question? Where would the average driver get nitrogen when on a 1000 mile trip?