1997 Expedition Needs Head Unit with Sirius - Recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ladyjazz17

Reaction score
I searched and found nothing about this topic, so thought I would join the Expedition forums to ask. :smile: (I am also a member of ProbeTalk.com, RX8Club.com, and Mazda6Forums.com for the three cars I own)

An attorney friend and fellow coworker owns a 1997 (1st gen) Expedition, and his in-dash head unit crapped out. He wants to replace it, but is mostly interested in having Sirius radio service. What replacement head unit do you recommend for (mainly) Sirius? He also has an iPod but would be more interested in the Sirius coverage. He lives in Fresno, CA but also works in the San Francisco Bay Area. Thanks in advance!

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any aftermarket deck single or double Din with Sirus compatibilty and Ipod controls will work.
I have a Clarion deck with Ipod controls and Sirus , pics are in my albums

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
True, I'm not aware of any head units that have sirius built in. The are sirius ready, which means that if you pick up the separate sirius tuner (usually about $75 to $100) you can control it from the head unit.

Since nearly every quality head unit is sirius compatible, which one to get really depends on what other features he wants (and the budget, of course)

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While not as sexy or integrated, I LOVE my stratus tuner. Handy because I grab it and move it from my house, boat, suv and car, and rental cars. One subscription, and many places to put it. I mounted my dock for the XP in the catch all in the center console. Sounds great even if you have to plug into the antenna input.

Sirius XM SDSV6V1 Satellite Radio Receiver - BRAND NEW IN SEALED RETAIL PACKAGE 884720011740 | eBay
You can see it installed here:
http://www.expeditionforum.com/f39/installed-seat-heaters-17776/

Just install the dock and antenna in everything you own.

Last edited:

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Agreed, even though my nav head unit has an available tuner, I still used the portable one to move from vehicle to vehicle (and my portable sirius boom box)