2003 Exp Stutter, Dies, etc..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was driving home last night when the truck lost power (2003 5.4L - 4WD), stumbling, and wouldn't go anywhere when given gas. I had my code reader in my truck so I got the following lean codes:
P0171, P0174

I shut the vehicle off, and after several minutes, restarted and it would drive enough to get me off the road. I did a visual inspection and there was nothing obvious. I ended up limping it home by shutting off the engine and after it sat for several minutes I could drive for a minute or so at a time before it would eventually stumble to the point that it would not accelerate. Fortunately I was only about 7 miles from home so I eventually made it back without having to call a tow truck. I'm not sure why letting it rest for 3-5 minutes mattered but it did. Once I got home and started checking things out it also spat up an additional code: P2195 (02 sensor signal biased/stuck lean bank 1 sensor1)

When I get off work I intend to start with the MAF sensor, checking responsiveness and cleaning it. I checked for vacuum leaks last night with a squirt bottle but intend to revisit this with some propane.

I know it could be quite a few things but plan to start there. I'm including the freeze frame data in the hopes that someone sees something that jumps out at them. I appreciate any insight into this.

Thanks!:

FUELSYS1 CL
LOAD_PCT% 67.1
ECT(F) 199
SHRTFT1 46.1
LONGFT1 24.2
SHRTFT2 47.7
LONGFT2 23.4
RPM 1926
VSS(MPH) 66
SPARK ADV 20.5
IAT(F) 105
MAF (LBS/S) .10
TP% 34.1
O2B1S1 .635
SHRTFTB1S1 46.1
O2B1S2 .575
SHRTFTB1S2 N/A
O2B2S1 .10
SHRTFTB2S1 47.7
O2B2S2 .570
SHRTFTB2S2 99.2

OP
OP
BRIANGEE

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another thing I just remembered is that sometimes it doesn't want to recover from snapping the throttle and will get close to dying. Only intermittently though...

OP
OP
BRIANGEE

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your data points to a weak fuel delivery. Check fuel pressure.

That was in my list of things to check. However, yesterday I noticed the MAF grommet was not seated all the way so I fully inserted it and full trims went back to normal so I reset codes and did some errands in town... all without incident.

I'm reluctant to call this out as the fix at this point and there was one more pending code that came up as I was testing the vehicle out: P0113 (IAT Sensor 1 Circuit High Input) but I wonder if the pirate air through the opening in the MAF connection had anything to do with that.