2005, check engine light slow blink then solid again after hard acceleration?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zoldos

Reaction score
My check engine light is always on since I have a vacuum problem in my gas tank. The mechanic said this wasn't critical. But the other day, I was accelerating pretty hard, and the check engine light changed to a slow blink for about 5 or 6 seconds, then turned solid again, and stayed thus for the rest of my trip.

What does this mean? Is it critical? I have the 2005 XLT Triton V8 model.

Thanks!

OP
OP
zoldos

zoldos

Reaction score
You have a miss. When were your plugs last changed?
I'm not sure honestly. I bought it used last May. It developed a miss soon after which I had fixed. So it's missing again? It did seem to sputter/hesitate when I tried to accelerate, but then ran fine....

brotherbeard

Reaction score
Yeah definitely a misfire it flashes on and off and drives sluggish and when it stops misfiring assuming that it does the light will stop flashing if you replace the spark plugs yourself make sure you torque them down to specs the aluminum heads are notorious for blowing plugs out it’s the worst thing about them

OP
OP
zoldos

zoldos

Reaction score
Yeah definitely a misfire it flashes on and off and drives sluggish and when it stops misfiring assuming that it does the light will stop flashing if you replace the spark plugs yourself make sure you torque them down to specs the aluminum heads are notorious for blowing plugs out it’s the worst thing about them
It slow blinked for like 5 seconds, then stopped, and it ran fine the whole time after (it had plenty of power, etc).