2005, check engine light slow blink then solid again after hard acceleration?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
It should blink when the miss is bad. An occasional miss will not blink it. It should really be fixed to avoid further damage. Probably inexpensive spark plug.

She's 17 years old and made it this far. Do the right thing.

OP
OP
zoldos

zoldos

Reaction score
It should blink when the miss is bad. An occasional miss will not blink it. It should really be fixed to avoid further damage. Probably inexpensive spark plug.

She's 17 years old and made it this far. Do the right thing.
The first time it happened, it was a "cold pack". Would changing all the spark plugs help, after the misfire is corrected?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
As ManUp says, a good code readers will tell you which cylinders have the miss. Then you could diagnose if you need a new plug, coil or injector if one or all of them are to blame. More often than not the problems are the plugs which are generally changed as a set. So if one is bad usually the others are worn too, but that can be determined by inspecting them.

OP
OP
zoldos

zoldos

Reaction score
As ManUp says, a good code readers will tell you which cylinders have the miss. Then you could diagnose if you need a new plug, coil or injector if one or all of them are to blame. More often than not the problems are the plugs which are generally changed as a set. So if one is bad usually the others are worn too, but that can be determined by inspecting them.
Cool, thanks! Yes we are planning on getting a set of new plugs and driving it as little as possible.

OP
OP
zoldos

zoldos

Reaction score
Go to Advance Auto or Auto Zone and have them read the code(s) for you. Free.
I'll try. Last time Auto Zone told me someone "stole" the scammer. The next time I went, they couldn't do it because of the pandemic. *sighs

I'll check out ORileys.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can't get a local store to do a scan, you could consider buying a code reader, I think that may have been suggested in the thread already. If you have the money for a scanner it will be money extremely well spent. I avoided the purchase for years, but what I found out is that it's very likely the single most important tool I have. It really makes troubleshooting easier on modern vehicles and will end up saving you far more money than you spend on it.

I bought a low end scanner 10+ years ago for like $100, boy was it tough to spend that money at the time. I ended up using it often and for my neighbors. About 2 years ago my wife bought me one that was $1000 so I could program a replacement Body Control Module for her car and it saved us the purchase price in less than a month. Decent little PCM/ECM scanners can be had for $50 now days, maybe even less if you buy a bluetooth module for a cell phone app.

Here's an option for $50, though I have no experience with this one. If you keep an eye out you might find it on sale for $10-20 off.

OP
OP
zoldos

zoldos

Reaction score
If you can't get a local store to do a scan, you could consider buying a code reader, I think that may have been suggested in the thread already. If you have the money for a scanner it will be money extremely well spent. I avoided the purchase for years, but what I found out is that it's very likely the single most important tool I have. It really makes troubleshooting easier on modern vehicles and will end up saving you far more money than you spend on it.

I bought a low end scanner 10+ years ago for like $100, boy was it tough to spend that money at the time. I ended up using it often and for my neighbors. About 2 years ago my wife bought me one that was $1000 so I could program a replacement Body Control Module for her car and it saved us the purchase price in less than a month. Decent little PCM/ECM scanners can be had for $50 now days, maybe even less if you buy a bluetooth module for a cell phone app.

Here's an option for $50, though I have no experience with this one. If you keep an eye out you might find it on sale for $10-20 off.
k cool. My g/f does the budget and we have enough to get it fixed, then in March, all new spark plugs. Will see if we can squeezer in a code reader at some point. :)