2011 Lack of power and acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vertbird

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I could use a little help. My brother has a 2011 Expedition he has 277k miles on it but it's run perfectly until about 3 months ago. Now he has no acceleration and lacks power going up hills. No misfires and just cruising it's fine but put your foot down and nothing much happens. There are no check engine lights. He's taken it to the Ford dealer, they said they couldn't figure it out (because the computer doesn't tell them the problem), a transmission shop said it's engine not transmission, another shop said it could be fuel pump so he spent $800 on that but it didn't solve the problem.

They've done a compression test, checked O2 sensors, checked catalytic converter - all fine. So Ford and 3 other shops can't figure it out but they all agree there's a problem but none of them can figure out what's wrong. The only other symptom is fuel MPG has gone down some. Anyone experienced anything like this?

Thanks,
Garth

Ryan L

Reaction score
If the 277k miles are on the original engine, my guess is the engine could simply be worn out. Between 3 shops and the dealer, someone would have located an issue if it was repairable.

S20Workstation4

Reaction score
When the pedal is pressed, does the transmission try to downshift? If it doesn't, it could be a Throttle Position Sensor/Throttle Body issue.

- Joseph

JerryT

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I could use a little help. My brother has a 2011 Expedition he has 277k miles on it but it's run perfectly until about 3 months ago. Now he has no acceleration and lacks power going up hills. No misfires and just cruising it's fine but put your foot down and nothing much happens. There are no check engine lights. He's taken it to the Ford dealer, they said they couldn't figure it out (because the computer doesn't tell them the problem), a transmission shop said it's engine not transmission, another shop said it could be fuel pump so he spent $800 on that but it didn't solve the problem.

They've done a compression test, checked O2 sensors, checked catalytic converter - all fine. So Ford and 3 other shops can't figure it out but they all agree there's a problem but none of them can figure out what's wrong. The only other symptom is fuel MPG has gone down some. Anyone experienced anything like this?

Thanks,
Garth
The exact same thing happened to me and my 1998 Expedition. Fully tuned up, no codes but no power. My mechanic (an old timer) and I figured it out. It was a dirty EGR intake manifold. Need to go deep into the manifold and clean it. Ran like it was brand need afterwards. There are YouTube videos showing how to clean your intake manifold. Good luck.
BTW, also change out your EGR valve and PCV valve if you haven’t yet.

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll throw my 2c in as well. If the intake manifold runner control fails to open the butterfly valves above 2500RPM, then the engine will feel like a turd above 2500RPM. Mine failed (after I played with it by hand, which is a no-no). No CEL was set, but it did set a code that I could read with ForScan.