2013 Air Conditioning/Ambient Air Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

houston2013EL

Reaction score
It's getting hot here in TX. My 2013 seemed to be not as cold as it should be. Intermittently, it would be super cold though. Found a couple things:

1) My 2013 Climate Control panel doesn't match what's in the 2013 manual. The 2013 manual kept talking about a MAX A/C setting. Mine does not have that among some other variances. The temperature control buttons on the right in mine are split, 2 buttons for rear and 2 for passenger. The 2013 manual doesn't show this at all. THose buttons are just for the passenger and the rear temp control is below. I did find that the 2012 manual matches mine exactly. I double checked - mine is definitely a 2013 year model.
2) I noticed that external temperature reading is way off. Its 95+ degreed outside but its showing between 50-70, both while sitting and driving. I wondered if this could be affecting the system by making it think the incoming air was colder. I found in the 2012 manual, how to override the AUTO setting on the climate control (my 2013 manual made no mention of this). Overriding AUTO and just lowering the temp to the minimum seems to have resolved my issue, at least on one short drive.
3) I ordered the ambient air temperature sensor. Anyone know exactly where it is? I assume somewhere behind the front bumper/grill. I didn't see it at quick glance and couldn't find anything online.

Anyone had similar issues? Refrigerant pressure is good so I don't believe I have a leak. No noises from the compressor.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I ordered the ambient air temperature sensor. Anyone know exactly where it is? I assume somewhere behind the front bumper/grill. I didn't see it at quick glance and couldn't find anything online.

Yes it does affect your A/C.
It is located in front of the radiator. If you take plastic cover off the top of radiator you will see it.