2017 doesn't downshift quickly enough, "lugs" when going up a hill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does yours have a Sport (aggro) mode or anything like that?

I got a bimmer 335d with the ZF 6hp28, which is damn near identical to the Ford 6R80.... and also a twin turbo setup. that's kinda boring in D but crotch-rocket-crazy in DS

OP
OP
S

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It mentions "SelectShift (If Equipped)" in the owner's manual but apparently we don't have that -- or, at least we don't have the feature of SelectShift that allows you to force a downshift or upshift using the "+/-" button. That option apparently comes only when there is a letter "S" below "D" on the shifter. Or, so I'm guessing. . .

66025694.jpg

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If dropping a bill is worth it to you, I solved the issue on my 2010 with a tune. Twice the transmission failed to downshift when I changed lanes and floored it (rush hour in NJ is a treat) was too many times for me. I'm a pretty conservative driver most of the time which is probably why the computer didn't want to downshift when I needed it to, but it was just not acceptable.

I went with 5 Star, which is a vendor on here. They really woke up my truck with an 87 octane towing tune.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
If dropping a bill is worth it to you, I solved the issue on my 2010 with a tune. Twice the transmission failed to downshift when I changed lanes and floored it (rush hour in NJ is a treat) was too many times for me. I'm a pretty conservative driver most of the time which is probably why the computer didn't want to downshift when I needed it to, but it was just not acceptable.

I went with 5 Star, which is a vendor on here. They really woke up my truck with an 87 octane towing tune.
Gotta love rush hour on the Parkway! I drive 91-109 every day lol

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Try a tank of 91 octane. The motor de-tunes for 87. The 6R80 transmission has a adaptive learn feature(ridiculously stupid). If you do not "horse it" on occasion, it runs like a dog. Disconnect the battery and hit the horn(to drain off remaining power). Re-connect and it will re-learn shift points. My Mustang(same awful transmission) has a hill switch. It keeps it in low gear and RPMs high. You can also purchase a SCT(expensive) programmer and install a custom tune, with better shift points. Good Luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FukNshT