2017 hood latch.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pmkroger5

Reaction score
I can't get the exterior hood latch on my 2017 Expedition EL LTD to release. I assume you need to push the lever under the front of the hood to the left, but it just won'd budge! Has anyone else had this problem? Could I be doing something wrong? Thanks for your help.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't get the exterior hood latch on my 2017 Expedition EL LTD to release. I assume you need to push the lever under the front of the hood to the left, but it just won'd budge! Has anyone else had this problem? Could I be doing something wrong? Thanks for your help.

Any chance you are pulling up on the hood while trying to release the secondary latch, causing it to bind?

OP
OP
P

pmkroger5

Reaction score
I've tried pushing down the hood as far as I can and still reach the lever, but it hasn't helped. I saw one post that suggested spraying everything with WD-40 so maybe I'll try that next. Thanks for your help.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've tried pushing down the hood as far as I can and still reach the lever, but it hasn't helped. I saw one post that suggested spraying everything with WD-40 so maybe I'll try that next. Thanks for your help.

When you release the primary hood latch lever (inside the vehicle under the dash/steering column) - does the hood pop-up slightly?

You should not have to push down the hood at all. Once the primary hood latch is released, the hood pops-up slightly, then you push the secondary lever to the passenger side of the vehicle.

OP
OP
P

pmkroger5

Reaction score
OK. I finally realized that the exterior hood latch needs to be pushed UP and to the left to release the hood. I was pushing it straight to the left like my old Nissan Xterra hood. Thanks for all of your comments. I've only had my EX for a few weeks and needed to refill the washer fluid and check the oil.