2018 Expedition Homelink Range

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have noticed that the range on my Homelink to open the Garage doors has been drastically reduced with the 2018 Homelink system. My 2007 Expy Homelink would open the doors about 7 house lengths away. 2018 Expy I have to be almost in my driveway. Kind of annoying havin to wait for the door to go up. Before anyone asks, no LED bulbs or other changes have been made to the opener itself.

Anyone else notice the diminished Homelink range?

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
That’s weird, you would think with how ugly the 2018s are they would want to put themselves out of public view as much and as quickly as possible.

MonkeyBrains

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Homelink in my ‘18 Expy works better than in any of my other vehicles. Although I’ve never had any such range with any garage door opener that I could operate it from 7 houses away. Perhaps you’re talking tiny houses, but I don’t think so. Sweet spot for all our vehicles seems to be around 90 feet away. Much of this is affected by radio interference in the area, positioning of the opener units or receiver hardware in the garage and how it’s integrated into a vehicle.

Jeka

Reaction score
That’s weird, you would think with how ugly the 2018s are they would want to put themselves out of public view as much and as quickly as possible.
Please don’t go anywhere, I will miss your comments :))
BTW, getting mine 4th Gen in a few days, hope to hear from you how minivan it is :)

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Please don’t go anywhere, I will miss your comments :))
BTW, getting mine 4th Gen in a few days, hope to hear from you how minivan it is :)
Some ppl just make it too easy

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It may not sound like a fix knowing your 2007 worked just fine, but consider adding about a foot or two of spare wire to your existing openers antenna. To see if this will solve your issue, leave your garage door open, drive down 6-7 houses, turn around and see if you can make it close. I had to do this when we upgraded from a single panel builders-special garage door to a heavier double-walled insulated one. I know thats comparing opposite things, but was a cheap and effective fix.

Another option is to move to a tiny shitbox of a house, one with a pitiful single car garage thats about the same size as an average lawnmower shed. Leave your Expedition outside so all your neighbors can be jealous that your SUV and house have the exact same square footage and roof height. Bonus points if the Ford costs more.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
It may not sound like a fix knowing your 2007 worked just fine, but consider adding about a foot or two of spare wire to your existing openers antenna. To see if this will solve your issue, leave your garage door open, drive down 6-7 houses, turn around and see if you can make it close. I had to do this when we upgraded from a single panel builders-special garage door to a heavier double-walled insulated one. I know thats comparing opposite things, but was a cheap and effective fix.

Another option is to move to a tiny shitbox of a house, one with a pitiful single car garage thats about the same size as an average lawnmower shed. Leave your Expedition outside so all your neighbors can be jealous that your SUV and house have the exact same square footage and roof height. Bonus points if the Ford costs more.
Sounds like you have experience with option 2

Spoiledhappywife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have noticed that the range on my Homelink to open the Garage doors has been drastically reduced with the 2018 Homelink system. My 2007 Expy Homelink would open the doors about 7 house lengths away. 2018 Expy I have to be almost in my driveway. Kind of annoying havin to wait for the door to go up. Before anyone asks, no LED bulbs or other changes have been made to the opener itself.

My Lincoln store said he heard complaints about this. However, I disagree. Our '18 Expedition and other cars are able to open the gates as we turn down our street 3 houses away. Our '15 F150 has to be within a couple of inches to get the damn thing to work. Unfortunately nothing can be done to change it. We tried to add a repeater to extend the length of the range and nothing changed- it is still a pain. Makes us appreciate it when it works. I joked with hubby that we ought to trade in truck for another one. Too bad we can't do that at this time.

mmaylock

Reaction score

Yes. I have a 2018 Expy and I'm seeing the same behavior. My 2007 Expy's opener worked from much farther away.