2018 Expedition Noise on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acf83

Reaction score
New to me Ford Expedition AWD XLT. Vehicle has 30K. When I apply the throttle from a stop or while parked I can hear what sounds like a loose heat shield for lack of better term or a rattle from the driver wheel well/firewall area. I used a stretoscope and it sounds like its coming from the turbo. It is not the noise upon start up that others have mentioned (however it does have a little noise on cold start up 20 secs maybe)it will do it hot or cold when you blip the throttle or accelerate with the window down it is obvious. Any ideas?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

acf83

Reaction score
took it in to the dealer. Service advisor thinks it might be the waste gate. Will post results

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welp,you don't know how it was taken care of the first 30K of its life. A tubo engine you just can't drive hard and shut it off, need to idle for a few to cool it and slow it down before shunting off the engine. Also clean oil is a must. Forget long drain intervals.

jking05

Reaction score
Mine makes a thud in the engine area when I accelerate as if something is loose. No idea what it is but taking it in soon.

OP
OP
A

acf83

Reaction score
Dealer said it was waste gate and was normal. it sounds like a rattle as if something is loose.Kinda like a very audible on the turbo when using a stethoscope when someone tapes the throttle. It took them 3 weeks to determine that. I am not pleased with the service or sound

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is a video describing the cause of the rattle on a 2.0 EcoBoost. Strange that mine made similar noises since day one!

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is a video describing the cause of the rattle on a 2.0 EcoBoost. Strange that mine made similar noises since day one!

So a complete turbo replacement is the only fix for that linkage issue? That’s nuts.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably a turbo rebuilder can fix it — issue is that some new 3.5 engines have this noise. Ford says it is normal but not sure about the long term effects of loose linkage or flapper.