'21 Platinum "thud" when shifting into 8th gear from 7th

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey all,

Bought my '21 Platinum Max new in Nov '21 and now at about 18K miles. Over the last 4 months or so, I've started to notice an occasional thud when the transmission is shifting into 8th gear from 7 (never from 9 to 8)...however it ONLY happens if (as an example) it just shifts into 8th as you crest a hill (so just in that spot of coasting to deceleration). Normal shifts are smooth as ever through all gears under regular acceleration. It is only as it shifts into 8th as the car either heads down a small hill or otherwise not under much acceleration. Almost like it's expecting more throttle but not getting it.

Crazy I know but it's fairly frequent; the thud is audible to passengers (even a bit of jerk felt in the car); no engine light, etc.

I'll take it in shortly but thought I'd ask and see if any of you had thoughts on what I should have the dealer focus on (since I can totally see the scenario where the dealer takes it out and can't replicate yadda yadda).

Lastly: assume you all recommend the Ford Max Warranty (or whatever it's called)? Best sources to go to for that?

Thanks gang!

caplanm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should take it in to the dealer. I have a 2018 Platinum, and have had a lot of "weirdness" when it comes to my transmission shifting. I would have them re-flash the programming first, but I suspect it is more than that. There are a number of TSB's on the transmission. I do have Ford Protect which I purchased right before my 3/36 warranty expired. There is just too much with all of the features and electronics (not just with Ford Vehicles) that could go wrong, and the parts and labor costs would be enough to "choke a horse". You can actually shop around for the best pricing on Ford Protect. You're NOT tied to your selling dealer. Good Luck!

George Banks

Reaction score
Mine will do the same thing, but at the lower gears. It hard to describe, but it always happens as I'm just cresting over a hill in my neighborhood. It's a slamming sound with an audible thud. Always on the downshift, but hard to replicate. Weird. I thought about taking it to the dealer, but we are a one car family and I know their solution will be to refresh the transmission with a note that they couldn't replicate the problem. Almost like the thing needs to die before they will actually fix it.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That odd hard shift with very light, or no, throttle input was one of my first symptoms.

They tried replacing the main control valve (again)
And eventually replaced the transmission. Here was the final diagnosis on the R/O

E70230EF-FB2B-4EC5-A19B-148D322FEE9E.jpeg

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That odd hard shift with very light, or no, throttle input was one of my first symptoms.

They tried replacing the main control valve (again)
And eventually replaced the transmission. Here was the final diagnosis on the R/O

View attachment 74727
I just got mine back last week, but they only changed out the mcv. Got shift sys error on display so I took it in. I would get a harsh gear change out of park, plus shifts from 3-4, 4-5 and 5-6 were rough. Engagement is better but I'm still getting some rough shifts in the same range plus sometimes a long shift from 4-5.