3rd gen vs 2nd gen (air) front strut compatibility?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geoffire

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 2007 Expedition EL I'm building out into an overlanding rig. For many reasons (high roof rack so lower to fit in garages, raise for off-road clearance, level for sleeping at campsite) I'd like to go air suspension front and rear and this truck is not air equipped, I'll be hacking manual control of the bags so don't care about the ecu stuff, but it seems like the easiest path would be to install the optional for this truck 3rd gen rear air struts and then the 2nd gen struts up front. I can do some fabbing if needed, but anyone know the differences between 2nd and 3rd gen expys struts?

Or maybe the stock air struts aren't the greatest starting point and I should just fab up something custom?

Anyone know how much travel those airbags have? Roughly what's the range of adjust I'd be able to get? I'm not looking for a crazy lift or anything (running 33's), just a usable 3" up and down range from stock height would be nice (extending beyond that only for brief moments or when stationary, not looking to destroy cv shafts).

Thanks,
Jeff