5.4 Lightening Engine Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Porkchop

Reaction score
Not sure if this is a repost of this question or not. If so, I am sorry in advance.

I've got a 98 Expedition with the 4.6 engine. It's not the worse thing I've ever owned, but it's not the fastest either. I see this as a perfect canidate for an engine swap.

I've had a sleu of problems with this since my wife drug this thing home a few months ago. Several misfires and skipping, clearing up on their own and returning the next day. Finally they arrived one afternoon and stayed. Turned out to be oil in the cylinders where the plugs are. Causing them to misfire and ruining plugs and wires. Had to replace them, can't figure out where the oil is coming from and so it started skipping again.

Well while trying to figure that one out something new went wrong. Now it won't stay running...have to jump it off...so I figure alternator. Jumping and then disconnecting and watching the lights and listening to A/C fan motor slow down has brought me to that conclusion.

Cont' in next post

OP
OP
P

Porkchop

Reaction score
So my question is how hard would this be to perform? Would it be worth the trouble and expense to swap in a Lightening engine? What exactly could I look forward to having trouble with?

Has anyone here seen or done this themselves?

I started toying with the idea of swapping a 3.8 super coupe engine into my wife's Taurus wagon, but I think I'd rather do this one instead.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A lot of people talk about it, but I've never heard of anybody who has actually done it. Definltey don't mess with the taurus, that car isn't worth putting a bigger engine in. If you do do it, the info would be a great addition to this site.
You might get more hp/$ to sell your current expedition, then buy another with the 5.4L in it and then use an aftermarket supercharger like an ATI Procharger, a Vortech, a or MagnaCharger.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could be done, but you need all the parts. The lightning uses the 4r100 (e4od) trans and you will also need the computer, wiring harnesss, intercooler heat exchanger and pump and all other plumbing. It seems like more and more people are starting to have trouble with the heads weeping oil through the pores of the head castings lately....... first plugs blowing out of the hole, and now oil getting in the hole.... what's next...LOL

Matt

the_tool_man

Reaction score
Hi Porkchop:

I've been doing a little research into adding a Lightning supercharger to my 5.4, so I'll chime in.

Since you have a 4.6, you'll need a lot of other things besides the engine. You'll need the transmission, intercooler, wiring harness, and possibly the rear axle. You'll need a dozen Lightning-specific brackets and hoses, and hundreds of bolts, nuts, clips, etc. I have recently seen someone selling a complete Lightning drivetrain for $4900, so it's conceivable that you could do it, but you better have lots of skill and time on your hands. If you're going to do this, you might look for a wrecked Lightning, and buy the entire vehicle. You could park them side-by-side and make sure you get every part you need.

Another option would be to trade your 4.6 for a 5.4, and then add the Lightning parts to that engine. The 5.4 transmission is the same one used in the Lightning (though the Lightning one is assembled with stronger internals). You can get a used Lightning supercharger on ebay for $500. The rest of the parts can be obtained in kit form from madenterprise.com for less than $2000. As long as you don't increase the boost above stock, the 5.4 and stock tranny will live for a while. If you want more, you'll have to have the tranny rebuilt for it.

A third option is to get a 5.4 and an aftermarket supercharger kit. You'll spend more money, but it's probably easier since the kit will come with everything you need and instructions. Again, your transmission will be the weak link.

All of the above assumes you do the work yourself. If you plan to pay someone to do all this, you're going to find it very expensive.

Regards,
John.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Porkchop

Reaction score
I know the car isn't really worth swapping in the supercharged engine from a T-Bird super coupe. But it's not the point of it being worth anything to anyone else except me. A good shot of spray and that engine...look out Mustang. Would be fun to blast off from a few at stop lights.

Now the Lightning swap into the Expedition, I believe, will be fairly easy. Very time consuming I'm sure, but I've built engines, swapped engines and converted auto's to sticks. I do ALL my own work, nobody touches my cars except me unless there is just no other option. Well, I let my brother-in-law work on it, but I trust him.

If I do the 3.8 into the Taraus, I'll post it here for sure. I plan the swap for the Expedition this winter. I didn't want to go with an aftermarket charger...that doesn't seem as cool to me. Plus I plan to do a little emblem swapping too.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by Porkchop
I know the car isn't really worth swapping in the supercharged engine from a T-Bird super coupe. But it's not the point of it being worth anything to anyone else except me. A good shot of spray and that engine...look out Mustang. Would be fun to blast off from a few at stop lights.

Now the Lightning swap into the Expedition, I believe, will be fairly easy. Very time consuming I'm sure, but I've built engines, swapped engines and converted auto's to sticks. I do ALL my own work, nobody touches my cars except me unless there is just no other option. Well, I let my brother-in-law work on it, but I trust him.

If I do the 3.8 into the Taraus, I'll post it here for sure. I plan the swap for the Expedition this winter. I didn't want to go with an aftermarket charger...that doesn't seem as cool to me. Plus I plan to do a little emblem swapping too.

Well if you plan on doing both that's cool, I just thought it would be more fun to smoke some mustangs in your SUV rather than the taurus. Definitely post whichever one you do, and especially if you do the expy, take lots of pics during it.

OP
OP
P

Porkchop

Reaction score
Oh yeah, a SUV outrunning a stang would be cool. I love my Mustang...but I want something different.

It may be just a little while before I do it, but you can bet the bank on it...it's gonna happen.

I will take pics and I'll also take video. I'll also post very detailed directions and what happened here and there.

I drive a dump truck for myself during the day, so time until winter is slim. I also run a CB shop at home and I'm planning to start my own webpage. When I do, the details, photos and video will all the there available to view and download for free. If I can post a link here I will, if not I'll try to contact you guys and send you the link.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Odd things that are fast are really cool. A friend and I are starting on a twin turbo V10 in a f250. Since it is the same chassis/body as the powerstroke we are using the powerstroke air to air intercooler and the rest of the drivetrain will have no problems handling the extra load. The setup will be completely custom since there is no such kit and 600 horsepower will be no problem even with the small turbos we are going to use to allow the boost to come on very quickly. Being different is the spice of life!
Matt