99 Off Road Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Barimpact

Barimpact

Reaction score
Well, in a flurry of last minute wiring, I got all my lights hooked up, my roof rack attached, and made it out in time Friday night to hit the trails. For the size and weight of the truck, it went up fairly steep hills much better than I ever expected. Of course the tire selection helped this a LOT, but I was more worried about heating up the tranny too much. Watching the gauge, it never really got into any temps I would ever be concerned about. Having the keys sitting at the stock height really helped a lot in any off camber situations. I had a buddy on the trip with a little S10 blazer that had the keys cranked all they way up and it flexed about as good as a hot wheels car. He got stuck on anything that wasn't just about dead level side to side.

The truck doesn't really get itself all dirty since the tires don't stick out beyond the fenders basically at all, which is the exact opposite case for my Jeep (that thing gets caked in mud top to bottom). We basically wheeled exclusively after the sun went down since some guys in the group couldn't leave till late, so I didn't get many pictures of her off road. I gotta say though, I really do like this truck. The first car I ever had was a 2003 F150, so I'm also living with a bit of nostalgia :33:

On the downside, the exhaust has rusted pretty much all the way through at the collector right after the headers, and I really do not want to have to tackle this issue. I've seen all the horror stories from other people trying to get their exhausts apart, and I don't want anything to do with that lol. But with each passing day, the truck gets louder and louder. It's to the point now that my 2015 Ram Hemi with the muffler deleted sounds QUIET, which is not really a thing that it is.

20191101_204839.jpg

20191101_210303.jpg

20191102_125906.jpg

Big pappy

Reaction score
Hi. I have offroaded the hell out of my 2001 for seversl years. As the trans is going and it cant keep highway speeds over 70 without sputtering it is good for just what we want. OFFROADING!!!!
2001. 4.6. 198 . 60 in three years of ownershi .
Mods:
MOVE front bumper
Maxed torsion bars
Custom tube spacers on rear for 4"
Diamond plate running skid plates bolted to underside

Places ive destroyed it in:
Arizona prescott desert and Tonto national forest .
Utah. Moab
Colorada rocky mountains
And just about every offroad park in the midwest

I like your thread

OP
OP
Barimpact

Barimpact

Reaction score
Hi. I have offroaded the hell out of my 2001 for seversl years. As the trans is going and it cant keep highway speeds over 70 without sputtering it is good for just what we want. OFFROADING!!!!
2001. 4.6. 198 . 60 in three years of ownershi .
Mods:
MOVE front bumper
Maxed torsion bars
Custom tube spacers on rear for 4"
Diamond plate running skid plates bolted to underside

Places ive destroyed it in:
Arizona prescott desert and Tonto national forest .
Utah. Moab
Colorada rocky mountains
And just about every offroad park in the midwest

I like your thread

Thanks! I'd like to get some videos of mine going around through the woods, but the only downside out here around Ohio is most of the trails are skinny and full of places to scratch up the paint. Which is fine for smaller wheelers like my XJ, but with the low miles the paint looks good so I don't wanna tear it up just yet lol

20191101_211256.jpg