99 Off Road Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barimpact

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just picked up my 2nd Expedition, and I've decided I'm going to do a mild off road build with it. My first Expy was a 99 Eddie Bauer 5.4 with 265k, but it shredded the trans in about a week, so I parted it out and scrapped the rest.

This fine machine is a 4.6, but it only has 108k original miles, and I picked her up for $300, clean title, running and driving .Previous owner was in a huge heap of trouble with the city for parking it all over his neighborhood illegally, so the city said either move it or get a huge fine (something like $3000, basically the sum of all the parking tickets he didn't pay) by the end of the week. Nobody wanted it, so I took it at the end of the week for as low as he was willing to part with it.

Like I mentioned, it's a 4.6L with 108k miles. It has 4x4 with the awful auto mode and no 2wd only mode (don't worry, brown wire mod coming). It's the XLT package, with the leather, steel springs, no fog lights, and I was told it has the 2wd front valence/bumper thing from a friend of mine that has had many F150s that are this body style.

It has a few issues. The alternator wiring is a big mess (I have a different thread dedicated to it), the 3rd row is missing, it has a mega exhaust leak at the headers, but I don't think the headers themselves are cracked. I know for sure the "downpipes" right after the headers are full of holes. The radio was stolen from previous owner, there was a fire that put a big hole in the middle seat of the rear bench (like a cigarette hole but about 8 inches in diameter), and the odometer screen is intermittent (plan to resolder and fix this soon).

I plan to make this a mild build, something that could almost keep up with my '00 Cherokee off road. I plan to rent it to friends that don't have 4x4s when we get groups together for big trips. Mods I plan to have by the end of the build:
- Wheels/tires
- Black tail lights
- Black headlights
- LED headlight bulbs
- Off road lights (lots of them for night wheeling)
- Roof rack
- Bluetooth radio
- Rear lunchbox diff lock
- Trans temp gauge
- Trans cooler electric fan and maybe upgraded cooler
- Aesthetic upgrades (like DIY painting some parts, removing stuff, etc)

It will probably take me a few weeks to get it built to a good starting point, but I plan to take her wheeling at Haspin Acres in Laurel, Indiana on the 1st of November. I will post pictures of all the progress I make here, and will upload videos to my YouTube channel where I feel like it would be interesting (example, I'm not gonna video putting wheels and tires on it, every DIY person knows how to change a tire).

If you've made it this far into the post you must be interested in the build, so stay tuned and I'll get this thing going!

OP
OP
Barimpact

Barimpact

Reaction score
Okay, so here's where I'll start the journey: Bringing the new girl home. With the alternator wiring all screwy, the exhaust loud as could be, and ALL the tires leaking, she had to be trailered. I was only able to drive it with my batter jump box connected to it, which is really only good for a few feet here and there.

20191011_170319.jpg

20191011_170331.jpg

OP
OP
Barimpact

Barimpact

Reaction score
The day after I took her up to my shop, there was a swap meet in town, where I scored some 285/75/r16 (32.8x11.2 inches for those of you that only speak 'Murica) Goodyear tires w/kevlar sidewalls and some 16x8 Cragar soft 8 wheels. Total cost after mounting was $360. Total build cost with purchase price of truck, $660. Only issue is the front wheels don't clear the calipers, so I ordered some 1/4" wheel spacers. These should give me just enough clearance without having to get a spacer with new studs, which I prefer so that I can avoid cutting the OEM studs, which will let me pull the wheels and tires back off when the day comes to sell. Went ahead and put the wheels on anyways so the local PD wouldn't ticket the truck for sitting with flat tires (yes even off public roads the township my shop is in has very strict vehicle laws. It's irritating but that's a fight for another day).

With no lift, the tires seem to fit great otherwise. I'm sure they'll rub when turning and going over bumps, but I can't test it till I get the spacers in. Lifted the truck a bit coming from a 265/70/r16 (30.6x10.4 inches). She's gonna be a big girl on the trails. The car under the cover right next to it is a stock height '99 Cherokee. All things considered, I love the look.

Also, if anyone wants to buy some aluminum rims with caps, the side steps with the lights, OEM tail lights, or some super yellow aftermarket headlights, come get em in Cincinnati :happy107:

20191012_123421.jpg

20191014_114816.jpg

20191014_114826.jpg

20191014_114834.jpg

20191014_115133.jpg

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dig it.

Mine is also built as a mild offroader. For more serious stuff I have a SAS’d Explorer.

OP
OP
Barimpact

Barimpact

Reaction score
Mine is also built as a mild offroader. For more serious stuff I have a SAS’d Explorer.

I stumbled across and read through your whole build thread a few days ago before starting mine, your build is actually where I got the idea for the bigger trans cooler.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I stumbled across and read through your whole build thread a few days ago before starting mine, your build is actually where I got the idea for the bigger trans cooler.

I nuked a transmission in a Mazda one time due to insufficient cooling. Never again.

That cooler upgrade is great. I never worry about trans temps.

Stepcajun

Reaction score
Good luck with your build, you can easily get 35's under it will just torsion keys and spacers.

OP
OP
Barimpact

Barimpact

Reaction score
Got a couple more things done today. I got my battery/starter/alternator wire harness replaced with a factory one out of a 2001 EB 5.4 and after poking around with a multimeter, the alternator is shorting out the battery, so I'll have to replace it.

Good news though, the 1/4" spacers got the wheels out just enough to clear the calipers. I also got the grille changed out, and it looks WAY better. I'll be painting the center piece too, but just not yet.

Lastly, I had a buddy drill and install my trans temp gauge while I was working on the wiring harness, and he didn't realize the black bezel was for mounting, not part of the gauge. So I guess my gauge has a nice trim piece now :happy107:

20191016_121055.jpg

20191016_135329.jpg

20191016_153201.jpg

20191016_153050.jpg

20191016_153055.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Barimpact

Barimpact

Reaction score
Got some more work done today, but not a lot to take pictures of. The LEDs I bought for the reverse light bulbs were too long so I can't use them, and none of the fittings for my trans temp gauge match the small size of the hole in the housing so I'm back to the drawing board there. But I cleaned up the interior pretty good and threw out a lot of junk from the p.o.

I got some black tail lights and removed the stickers to clean up the rear. I found some LED tail lights that I really liked between $100 and $130, but in the spirit of the budget build, I bought a set of $28 housings, black with a smoked lens, to make them look as dark as possible.

Only real issue I found was that the gauge illumination is not working, keeps blowing a fuse. So I'll have to track that one down. Alternator comes tomorrow then I can finally drive it! Been looking forward to that for a little while now.

20191020_162111.jpg

OP
OP
Barimpact

Barimpact

Reaction score
Got a couple more things done to the truck today. I got my sweet switch panel mounted up first. I used a piece of rubber to block off the hole that's created by cutting the whole front of the cubby out, and it's all powered with the key switch.

Next I got some front lights hooked up to match the switches. Bumper lights to go with 'fog lights' and some LED Cherokee headlights I had laying around wired as high beams only to go with 'spot lights' on the switches. Roof rack and more lights come wednesday and she'll be on the trails this weekend.

20191028_182416.jpg

20191028_180138.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire