A/C Expert Opinion Please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tvlunn

Reaction score
2008 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4 liter engine.

I moved the truck out of the garage and noticed a small wet spot about half the size of a dime. At first at thought, oh no, an anti-freeze leak. The leak was located just behind where the passenger front wheel was parked. Crawled underneath and could see where a small streak of "fluid" had come along the wheel well covering. Immediately went back up top to look and the following photos show what I discovered

1) Isn't this the expansion valve?
2) Are there "O" rings that need replacing inside OR is it recommended the entire piece be replaced?
3) Freon still in system and it "seems" to be cooling OK. Static pressure as the truck sat and had not been run in 4 hours was 70 PSI. Outside temperature at the time was 65 if that's important.
4) You can see the bottom of the valve is fairly wet. It appears this valve isn't too difficult to change, so may fixing the issue isn't a high dollar job?????

Inked1_LI.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like the center retaining bolt is loose. Did you try tightening ? That flat pipe piece should be flush against the expansion valve. Are you the original owner ? Looks like whoever did some AC work didn't tighten the pipes to the valve too well. Snug that bolt down and clean the area off with some brake cleaner and check your freon charge with the system operating. It's most likely low.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tvlunn

Reaction score
Thanks Hamfisted!

Yes, I'm the original owner!

I went and checked the retaining bolt. It was tight. I did loosen it just a tad, and snugged it back in place. That convinced me the bolt was tight as it should have been!

I guess I'll order the valve from RockAuto. It appears it does NOT come with the "O" rings, so I'll need to order an "O" ring kit as well!

MOTORCRAFT YG415 {#7L1Z19849C}
IMG_2051.jpg

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, but you need to find out what's blocking the pipe from properly mating with the expansion valve as well.

OP
OP
T

tvlunn

Reaction score
Hamfisted, I think I realize why you feel the plate is not completely up against the valve. There does appear to be a gap between the valve body and mounting plate making it appear it isn't tightened down enough.

I looked again and the plate fits up against where the AC tubing has a "bulge" around it. Sorry, that's the best way I know to describe it.

Anyway, I downloaded a photo of the "bulge" I'm trying to describe. From the photo below, you can see the plate would fit against the "bulge" and then pull the hose tightly against the valve body. From my photo above, it does appear there is a gap between the plate and valve body, but the plate is definitely up against the "bulge" pulling everything nice and tight! Hope this makes sense!!!

Just so you know: The air on this vehicle has never had an issue since day 1.

IMG_2052.jpg

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The leak from valve was it it oil or water? TXV will sweat in certain conditions, completely normal. Of course refrigeration oil would not be normal.