Another CEL on our 2017...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff T

Reaction score
About a month ago I was out and "punched" it on wet pavement. It immediately started bucking, shaking and the CEL light came on. Pulled the codes and it was a miss-fire on several cylinders. Drove it a little more and the mileage got worse, 16 mpg when I usually get 20 mpg on the highway. Took it to the dealer and they replaced an oxygen sensor that had also come up as part of the codes.

Coming home from Thanksgiving, I "punched" it to pass someone and history just about repeated itself. I haven't pulled the codes yet but will later today. It has 110k on it with original plugs, so I will get those replaced as well.

Curious to see if anyone else had had a similar experience and how it was resolved? Thanks.

11henrs

Reaction score
Well most are replacing the plugs at the 50-60k mark. I would imagine by now the boost is “blowing out the candle” on your plugs with the gap they must have by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Jeff T

Reaction score
I headed for an oil change and new plugs today, fingers crossed. I'll ask the dealer to save the plugs and post pics.

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
over 100,000 miles on the original plugs and the dealer didn't recommend replacement? That's pretty odd. These engines are known to eat spark plugs (regardless of what the manual says about 100k spark plug changes). When I changed mine at around 60,000 miles they had pretty large gaps. At this point I'd say it's probably luck that a coil hasn't died yet as a result of the worn out plugs.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I changed the original spark plugs in my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 at about 45,***. The plugs were burnt, black and the gap opened. I do not tow, drive mostly rural highways and use Top Tier fuel.

On my GM vehicles, the spark plugs look VERY good after going 60-80,000 miles. Not Ford.

The Ford plugs looked liked something out of the 60’s or 70’s, with a carburetor and a stuck choke.

Change the spark plugs....

OP
OP
J

Jeff T

Reaction score
A new set of plugs and all is better!! And I will admit. I didn't think the old ones looked that bad!?

11henrs

Reaction score
Did you happen to get a gap on em?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk