Bad Transmission or Bad Luck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K9BM

Reaction score
Just bought a 2020 Expedition Max with 14k miles, almost new. Drive it 5 states to get it home, and on the 2nd day of the drive I was traveling at 80 mph in South Dakota (speed limit) in high winds when the transmission unexpectedly started fairly often downshifting then going back into normal high gear (this was all in 2WD). But as it shifted back to normal the tach seemed to jump up as if the engine was briefly in revving up. After a few minutes I was startled by a CHECK ENGINE warning and I saw the transmission temp gauge was all the way over into the red showing 285°. Engine temp was normal.

I pulled over and idled for a few minutes, the temp started coming down. So I started driving slowly in the breakdown lane and in a few minutes the transmission temp was normal. I got back on the highway and drove another 150 miles to my next stop without incident, and the next day drove the last 450 miles home normally.

What happened? No dipstick to check transmission fluid that I can find. I wasn't towing anything, and I was on mostly level terrain, no mountains to climb. It seems like maybe the tranny started slipping and then overheated, but why? And why was it fine thereafter? Most important, what to do now?

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. Go to the dealership for the once-over ASAP. Buying used, you really don't know what to expect--ever. What I would want to do is document the issues, especially if they look it over and say "it's fine" and then it happens again, or worse. I have gone time/time again with issues, especially as I get near the end of the factory warranty, so if it happens after the fact, and they discover something major I can point to the fact they have ignored the problem for XX months/ years. They also tend to hit you with the BS "if we can't duplicated it..." so keep them on the hook!

2. Depending on your situation, consider trading it back to original dealer so you don't take a bath, and buy something else (preferably new). Yes you will lose money, but gain some peace of mind.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

I personally do not like the way companies are going, by not having a discreet trans-cooler. They are either combining it inside the radiator (us) or saying it isn't needed (new Toyo Tundra--where it clearly is needed still).

YMMV

OP
OP
K

K9BM

Reaction score
I made a service appointment, 2 weeks. Service manager said they are backed up because of poor availability of parts. Like most everything in our new reality, COVID is to blame. Fortunately it's not a problem to let the car sit in my garage for 2 weeks waiting for the appointment I asked about checking the transmission fluid, she told me there IS a dipstick, on the driver side of the engine. It's well concealed, I can't find it....

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I made a service appointment, 2 weeks. Service manager said they are backed up because of poor availability of parts. Like most everything in our new reality, COVID is to blame. Fortunately it's not a problem to let the car sit in my garage for 2 weeks waiting for the appointment I asked about checking the transmission fluid, she told me there IS a dipstick, on the driver side of the engine. It's well concealed, I can't find it....

There should be a dipstick on the side of the tranny. It’s not very big and it’s also the fill port if I recall correctly.

Google directions on how to check the fluid level. Not sure if it’s like the ZF transmissions, but in those you have to check while it’s running and at a certain temp. If you open it while it’s off the fluid level is well above the fill port.

Reaction score
K9BM, This sounds similar to what happened to me about a year ago. 2018 Max traveling 80MPH towing my empty 1,200 pound utility trailer.

About 500 miles into a 700 mile drive when the transmission suddenly downshifted to 6/7 and never really got above 7. Dealer said, "well since we can't duplicate the problem, and there were no codes in the computer, there was nothing to fix."

Oddly enough my gas mileage improved for the last 200 miles even though the transmission never got past 7.

I hadn't noticed the transmission temp and after 3 days w/the 2018 at the dealer I got the car back and the situation never happened again. I traded the 2018 in on a 2020 and never looked back.

Reaction score
Just bought a 2020 Expedition Max with 14k miles, almost new. Drive it 5 states to get it home, and on the 2nd day of the drive I was traveling at 80 mph in South Dakota (speed limit) in high winds when the transmission unexpectedly started fairly often downshifting then going back into normal high gear (this was all in 2WD). But as it shifted back to normal the tach seemed to jump up as if the engine was briefly in revving up. After a few minutes I was startled by a CHECK ENGINE warning and I saw the transmission temp gauge was all the way over into the red showing 285°. Engine temp was normal.

I pulled over and idled for a few minutes, the temp started coming down. So I started driving slowly in the breakdown lane and in a few minutes the transmission temp was normal. I got back on the highway and drove another 150 miles to my next stop without incident, and the next day drove the last 450 miles home normally.

What happened? No dipstick to check transmission fluid that I can find. I wasn't towing anything, and I was on mostly level terrain, with no mountains to climb. It seems like maybe the tranny started slipping and then overheated, but why? And why was it fine thereafter? Most importantly, what to do now?
So we just got my wife's 2019 Expedition with the same 10R80 (18K miles) trans back from the dealer. There are a number of known issues with these (this was a JV between GMC & FORD) and TSBs about them. We just had a "10th gear ratio" error which turned out to be a solenoid O-ring failure for that gear. They had to completely rebuild the transmission and do all new seals and o-rings. The vehicle comes with a 3-year bumper-to-bumper and a 5-year drive-train so you'll be covered completely. The advantage is when they do the results they should be fixing all the known issues with called fixes so hopefully you'll be fine.

Just get in there and expect to get a rental, as it was we ended up with a 2020 Expedition Plat, so was fine for the wife and kids. Glad we have it back though.

Corps8404

Reaction score
Hello all....I have a 2019 Limited 4WD. When I drive at a speed of 40mph+ and come to a complete stop, my transmission does a small lurch and makes a light thumping sound. When I release the brake and press the accelerator there's a slight delay. This happen intermittently, but very annoying and a little scary even. Has anyone else experienced this with a 4th Gen?
I have a service appointment in a week. Thanks!

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello all....I have a 2019 Limited 4WD. When I drive at a speed of 40mph+ and come to a complete stop, my transmission does a small lurch and makes a light thumping sound. When I release the brake and press the accelerator there's a slight delay. This happen intermittently, but very annoying and a little scary even. Has anyone else experienced this with a 4th Gen?

Its downshifting thru the gears as you slow down, just like it should!

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score

What are the engine rpms just before and after each event. Could it be the auto engine start/stop?