blown engine???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ghindy2002

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of the 5.4L blowing a spark plug out and striping the threads so bad it can't be re tapped? Needing a new /or re-manuf engine????? I heard it is a common problem with the 5.4 after 120000 miles ?????

DodgeRamAw06

Reaction score
Wow, Ive never heard of that. I have a 5.4 with 145000 miles, its still running strong. I would take the truck to a couple different mechanics to get their advice on it. I dont see how they cant retap it. Hope you get it figured out.
Dustin

OP
OP
G

ghindy2002

Reaction score
It popped and then sounded like gravl was tinkling under hood for jsut a second and thensounded like a header broke loose. When I pulled over an opened the hood I knew it wasnt a header it was high on the engine way in the back. I then thought maybe a ERG valve. It had very little power but I could turn it off and then start it again. I had it put on a roll back and taken to the garage. They said it blowed the plug out and there was damage to the hole. It broke the coil on that cynlinder. I also talked to the auto repair teacher at the vocational school and he said.. something about if you change the plugs on a warm engine this has been know to happen after 130k and especially a 5.4. He has seen it 4 times. Everyone is suggesting I just replace the engine and forget about trying to rebulid this engine. I had no warning at all this vehicle ran great never a noise or a miss in the engine. I was cruising at 40, no load, no pull on a hill nothing. They also said it usually happens on the passenger side of the engine & if I fix just that one cynlinder the next one in line would go sooner or later. I perplexed and dont really know what to do. I am trying to get all opinions and info I can before I dump 5500.00.

OP
OP
G

ghindy2002

Reaction score
Come on now boys. Anyone heard of a 5.4 blowing a plug? Seems it is more common than not. Ford has a flaw in there design of the 5.4 I hear. If you haven't heard about it.... guess what, you will. Everyone check your plugs for the fit. Only 6 thread holding them in....

danketchpel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by ghindy2002
Anyone heard of a 5.4 blowing a plug? Seems it is more common than not. Ford has a flaw in there design of the 5.4 I hear.

This was a common problem in the earlier triton engines including the V10s. There are discussions about it all over the net.

Ford revised the head casting in mid 2002 to add more material in the plug hole area so they have full length threads.

I believe I posted about this before but I can't find it.

falcn

Reaction score
Originally posted by ghindy2002
Has anyone ever heard of the 5.4L blowing a spark plug out and striping the threads so bad it can't be re tapped? Needing a new /or re-manuf engine????? I heard it is a common problem with the 5.4 after 120000 miles ?????

Timesert makes a nice kit for just this purpose - my friend had to do it on his F250 with 5.4L - said it was a good kit and relatively easy for a home mechanic to install.

http://www.timesert.com/html/ford_sparkplug_faq.html