Brake lights stuck on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EggsBenedict

Reaction score
My 2003 Expedition Eddie Bauer has brake lights that are stuck on. I have to disconnect battery when not in use to avoid draining the battery. So far I've replaced the switch connected to the brake pedal and disconnected the light switch on the dash and I continue to have brake lights on. I'm down to thinking it's a short or something in the wiring but if anyone has encountered this and has another possible fix I'd be very appreciative of any help.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2003 Expedition Eddie Bauer has brake lights that are stuck on. I have to disconnect battery when not in use to avoid draining the battery. So far I've replaced the switch connected to the brake pedal and disconnected the light switch on the dash and I continue to have brake lights on. I'm down to thinking it's a short or something in the wiring but if anyone has encountered this and has another possible fix I'd be very appreciative of any help.

Did you use an OEM Motorcraft switch, and did you calibrate / adjust the new switch after installation (and before use)?

JChan

Reaction score
I am new to the forum but I couldn't resist this one. This sounds like a classic short to ground. The wire is exposed and touching ground someplace after the load/bulbs. The rear lights probably share the same ground so it affects both sides. Remove the tail light assemblies and check wires near the connector for anything obvious especially anywhere the wire could be rubbing against metal. It's a good place to start and costs nothing.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am new to the forum but I couldn't resist this one. This sounds like a classic short to ground. The wire is exposed and touching ground someplace after the load/bulbs. The rear lights probably share the same ground so it affects both sides. Remove the tail light assemblies and check wires near the connector for anything obvious especially anywhere the wire could be rubbing against metal. It's a good place to start and costs nothing.
We just had a member post about this couple months ago.