Brake upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Munkiebunz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2016 EL limited. Is anyone else experiencing warped rotors? I drive in stop & go traffic of Los Angeles but I get rotor warping after just a few hundred miles or so. I really don't drive that much either (5k miles/year)

So, that being said, can anyone recommend a really good set of rotors/pads that are excellent at heat dissipation & resistant to warping? I don't tow, but I do have maybe regularly 800 lbs of people & gear in/on the vehicle & I don't want to have them overheat if I do grab a trailer

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your warpage issues may be from uneven torque on the lug nuts. I’d recommend against using air tools either use torque wrench or at least T-wrench so you can feel how tight each one is. Also make sure your using good rotors. Another thing is to make sure your wiping them off with brake cleaner before you use them as you’ve gotten finger prints on them and they have a factory coating that will contaminate and cause issues.

Plati

Reaction score
I just (had) installed Wagner Perfect Stop pads. Wagner is a good established name as far as I could tell. I also had DuraGo coated rotors installed and they look and seem nice. Made in Tennessee by the way. I had a discussion with my shop about putting quality parts in and this is what was chosen. He said best to go with "high carbon" rotors, better metal. My old rotors had problems and they rusted after every rain so I think they were cheap crap. New ones seem great and look good and didnt rust overnight in the rain!

I did my research and you can buy drilled and slotted rotors but it didn't seem like unanimous consensus that they give superior braking and may not work as well as a plain rotor. I'm sure there are various opinions on that.

another recent thread on that with more info
https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...rebates-some-expiring-soon.37127/#post-318761

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Virtually every aftermarket rotor is junk. One exception: I've had great results with DBA rotors from Australia using Hawk break pads. Most recently I've used Ford Motorcraft rotors and pads and the truck stops perfectly with no warping in 5,000 miles.

Forget the auto part store crap, it's garbage.

And what J is telling you is true. Use an air wrench on lug nuts and your rotors will be toast.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With any rotor you pretty much get what you pay for. NAPA sells some pretty good stuff.

I’ve been running Motorcraft HLS rotors and PowerStop pads.....I’ve been pleased with this combo.

Last edited:

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
NAPA Premium or Ultra Premium will likely be your best off the shelf pads with smooth rotor.

My buddy used Hawk stage 2 (I believe) on his 2018 as he tows lots of big boats.

Power Stop Z36 Extreme Truck and Tow is supposed to be a solid choice too.

Plati

Reaction score
Virtually every aftermarket rotor is junk. One exception: I've had great results with DBA rotors from Australia using Hawk break pads. Most recently I've used Ford Motorcraft rotors and pads and the truck stops perfectly with no warping in 5,000 miles.

Forget the auto part store crap, it's garbage.

And what J is telling you is true. Use an air wrench on lug nuts and your rotors will be toast.
Are you saying my new DuraGo rotors are junk/crap/garbage? I'd be quite surprised if thats the case. Shocked!

About using an air wrench and rotors are toast. C'mon really? Dont you think 95% of the wheels in America are mounted using an air wrench? Are all those rotors toast? An air wrench fails EVERY time? I like the idea of carefully and slowly tightening by hand, then torquing by hand as a "perfect" process ... but an air wrench is not going to ruin every single rotor.

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2016 EL limited. Is anyone else experiencing warped rotors? I drive in stop & go traffic of Los Angeles but I get rotor warping after just a few hundred miles or so. I really don't drive that much either (5k miles/year)

So, that being said, can anyone recommend a really good set of rotors/pads that are excellent at heat dissipation & resistant to warping? I don't tow, but I do have maybe regularly 800 lbs of people & gear in/on the vehicle & I don't want to have them overheat if I do grab a trailer

Something odd going on there.

I piled on like 30k mi in LA stop and go and my already-old-to-begin-with brakes didnt do nothing... despite impacting my lugnuts on and off more than a few times

How are you identifying this rotor warpage? If it's your friendly blinker fluid changing mechanic who installed the previous rotors.....

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Yes I said that. And when you tighten up those wheels, set that air hammer at 350 foot pounds and tighten the lugs one at a time, nice and snug.

All kidding aside, the quality control on import rotors today is absurd. I've had some real problems in the past with them. And the cheapest ones are just horrible. Sometimes you luck out and they're fine, but I'm too old and too tired and pissed off to swap out new rotors again and again.

Of course every OEM cautions against using an air ratchet to tighten lug nuts. But what does Ford know? Actually, in the wrong hands, and air tool makes it too easy to warp a wheel and rotor. The labor pool for New York tire mounters ain't top shelf my friend.

Hope you got your 20% AdvanceAuto discount on those DuraGoGo Gungdong $18 rotors. You'll be buying more of 'em.

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Btw, what IS the mechanism of interaction between lugnut torque and brake rotors, exactly??