Burnt Smell + Oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandonian

Reaction score
Hi Ya'll - please ignore my prior water post :).

More concerning issue now. I got the smell of burnt oil in the cabin while taking my kiddo to school this morning. Will have to poke my head up in there, but it's definitely passenger side. Research indicates potentially either a valve cover or the vacuum pump seal back behind there. I will have to see if I can jack it up and find it - I think this has caused the issues I am finding. In particular this is a 2016 3.5l Ecoboost. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for in there? My prior 2008 Jeep Commander was a piece of cake to work on and identify - they truly packed too much BS into these newer smaller engines :(. Repairs must generate a mass fortune for them.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Ya'll - please ignore my prior water post :).

More concerning issue now. I got the smell of burnt oil in the cabin while taking my kiddo to school this morning. Will have to poke my head up in there, but it's definitely passenger side. Research indicates potentially either a valve cover or the vacuum pump seal back behind there. I will have to see if I can jack it up and find it - I think this has caused the issues I am finding. In particular this is a 2016 3.5l Ecoboost. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for in there? My prior 2008 Jeep Commander was a piece of cake to work on and identify - they truly packed too much BS into these newer smaller engines :(. Repairs must generate a mass fortune for them.

I had a similar issue with my 2015 Expedition Limited. The dealer determined the engine vacuum pump (mounted on the right rear of the engine, under the cowl) and a fitting was leaking oil, which ran down the engine.

I used to work on my vehicles for years - but no longer due to four major surgeries. I looked at the vacuum pump, and it is barely visible at the rear of the engine. I don’t know how the mechanic replaced it, but I suspect some of the fasteners that were removed were done by feel.

It was replaced under terms of my Ford Premium ESP.

OP
OP
B

Brandonian

Reaction score
Thanks for that ! For some reason I always just need affirmation that I am on the right track...understandably nobody can "diagnose" a vehicle from across the internet really lol. I'll see if I can get a hand back there tonight and at least feel it - if I do feel oil back there I'm going to go ahead and get the seal and do that tomorrow. I know I read you should take the wheel and fender line off to make life way easier - so I may do that.

I know I'll also put a valve cover gasket set on the list too - but the one that takes priority is the terribly smelly and occasionally smokey one

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for that ! For some reason I always just need affirmation that I am on the right track...understandably nobody can "diagnose" a vehicle from across the internet really lol. I'll see if I can get a hand back there tonight and at least feel it - if I do feel oil back there I'm going to go ahead and get the seal and do that tomorrow. I know I read you should take the wheel and fender line off to make life way easier - so I may do that.

I know I'll also put a valve cover gasket set on the list too - but the one that takes priority is the terribly smelly and occasionally smokey one

Good luck.

What part of Kentucky? I live in Ohio, but have vacationed in Kentucky for decades - often visiting Kentucky State Parks when my children were younger. Took many trips to Lake Cumberland and the Somerset area too. The state is beautiful and has many scenic and historic areas.

OP
OP
B

Brandonian

Reaction score
We are in Lexington at the moment, but hoping to buy a house somewhere later this year. Somerset is in the potential area of that. It is nice here, we are originally from multiple generations in Colorado - it got so crowded and we got priced out of everything.

I connected a vacuum line at the top of the throttle body that appears to have been disconnected for a long while - and coincidentally it doesn't smell nearly as bad after multiple trips in it and I can't tell that it's dripping anymore. I'll order the parts on next payday to do them anyway - because I find that's odd - but I'm not my dad and not an expert on this stuff, this was his territory and he was my resource lol.

We are trying to get the kids out while they are younger still around here - we camped a lot in Colorado and got to see some of the cool mountains - it got so bad with living in an apartment and then COVID hitting that we couldn't get out, and all the first come first serve campsites were disappearing to become reservation sites that were typically booked months in advance and we could never plan that far ahead financially.

Adam J

Reaction score
my '16 had a burnt oil smell and sometimes visible smoke after a hill climb. I suspect it was simply that the turbo got and stayed at peak temp vs. the rest of my flat driving at lower loads. sure enough the vacuum pump was leaking and rebuilding it remedied the situation. I also changed top turbo coolant jiffy fitting as it was visibly dribbling. so far, much improved and no more burning. Rather than buying a $100 vacuum pump, there's a $30 seal kit on amazon and you'll need some oil resistant rtv sealant and a swear jar if you DIY. through passenger fender liner is likely the best way to do it.

OP
OP
B

Brandonian

Reaction score
Thanks - Yes - I have a very miniscule leak back there it appears - hopefully it'll bide it's time for weather to warm up and us to get our own home then I'll just rebuild it. Can't be as bad as the oil filter housing on my wife's pentastar with those rear bracket bolts - my arm tore something awkwardly reaching back there :) Can't wait to have my own garage with a 2 post! :)

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We are in Lexington at the moment, but hoping to buy a house somewhere later this year. Somerset is in the potential area of that. It is nice here, we are originally from multiple generations in Colorado - it got so crowded and we got priced out of everything.

I connected a vacuum line at the top of the throttle body that appears to have been disconnected for a long while - and coincidentally it doesn't smell nearly as bad after multiple trips in it and I can't tell that it's dripping anymore. I'll order the parts on next payday to do them anyway - because I find that's odd - but I'm not my dad and not an expert on this stuff, this was his territory and he was my resource lol.

We are trying to get the kids out while they are younger still around here - we camped a lot in Colorado and got to see some of the cool mountains - it got so bad with living in an apartment and then COVID hitting that we couldn't get out, and all the first come first serve campsites were disappearing to become reservation sites that were typically booked months in advance and we could never plan that far ahead financially.

Somerset is a beautiful area. Spent many summer vacations in the area with my children when they were young. Spent several vacations on rented houseboats on the lake. Now have relatives that live near Burnside and my wife and I visit the area.