Buy this 07 Expy with a bad timing chain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Al Steel

Reaction score
I found an '07 Expy that looks very good. No frame rust, all electronics works, new brakes, good transmission, new battery, no visible leaks, good tires, etc.

HOWEVER.. the owner says that it has a bad timing chain. He says it started shaking and acted like is was going to stall out, he shut it down and took it to a mechanic that said it needed a timing chain fix. Est $800.00. But other than that, he says everything works great (transmission, 4WD, suspension, etc).

My question to you is.. should I buy it with this issue? I can't start and run the engine or drive it, so I have no way of verifying if any number of expensive fixes are needed, including an engine replacement.

Thoughts? Anything I can look for to tell if it's going to need other major work done?

Thanks!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For $800 you can't really get hurt. Worst case you'll have to put a new motor in it. But if it's rust free and the Carfax report is clean it might be worth the gamble. Are you planning on doing the work yourself ? That's a pretty cheap price to do a timing chain replacement. Replace the oil pump and use the old style iron tensioners.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have to be honest, if it just need chain and can be fixed for 800 seller would fix it. Without full maintenance records and the ability to hear it run I would not be a buyer. How many miles?

OP
OP
A

Al Steel

Reaction score
Agreed. I asked him why he didn't just get it fixed and he said they didn't want to put anymore money into a vehicle they didn't need. I am considering offering to pay to get it fixed. After that, if it's good and I can test drive it that I buy it at $400 off his asking price. If not he will refund me half the repair cost. Think of it as a $400 non-refundable deposit.

Does anyone think $800 for a timing chain replacement is too low/high?

Sorry to be clear, the purchase price isn't $800, that's the repair cost. The Expy is a bit more than that, but extremely reasonable IMO.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Nobody around these parts is doing a timing chain, phasers, tensioners, and dropping the pan to clean out the old tensioners for $800. So after you spend about $3500 on the job, you can assess the health of this motor, transmission and car? I think not.

If you pay him $800 to do the timing chain you're going to get the crappiest job he can pass off on you.

Why get wrapped up in this problem?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed. I asked him why he didn't just get it fixed and he said they didn't want to put anymore money into a vehicle they didn't need. I am considering offering to pay to get it fixed. After that, if it's good and I can test drive it that I buy it at $400 off his asking price. If not he will refund me half the repair cost. Think of it as a $400 non-refundable deposit.

Sorry to be clear, the purchase price isn't $800, that's the repair cost. The Expy is a bit more than that, but extremely reasonable IMO.

I think I'd walk away from it. Or just offer him $400 for it to take it off his property. Your luck in the past with used vehicles has been $#!T .
Like Trainmaster said, a timing chain job is at least $3000 if you're not doing the work yourself.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I got quotes on a timing job years ago (as a just in case scenario) and was told about $2,500 by several local shops. Parts and labor have both gone up quite a bit since, so I imagine it would be a bit more if I went back to those same shops today.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd walk away from this. No, I'd run away from this. Way too much unknown. Find an engine, price it and deduct that amount from the price and make him an offer.

OP
OP
A

Al Steel

Reaction score
I think I'd walk away from it. ... Your luck in the past with used EXPEDITIONS has been $#!T .
Like Trainmaster said, a timing chain job is at least $3000 if you're not doing the work yourself.
... Fixed ...

Yup walking.. that's exactly what i wanted to know. I had no idea how much a timing chain job was for an Expy. Another thing is that I also don't know if it's an interference engine, you know, where a broken timing chain = bent valves. $2500 no way. $800 if I do the job myself? No freaking way.

Like Ham said. My luck would be I'd spend a month of Sundays getting the timing chain fixed, drive it around the block and the trans fall out! Nope...

Thanks for the advice.. nothing to see there. Moving along..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01