Clicking sound from behind the dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle Ford

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, newbie here. I have a 2014 Limited, and the click starts as soon as you open a door, or even the window on the hatch. The car doesn't need to be running. Do you all think it's the same thing?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

tgma

Reaction score
There are two actuators, one is for the blend of cold to hot air, the other is the diverter from floor to vents to defrost.
If you adjust each dial (or push button setting if you have climate control) slowly, you can make the clicking start and stop. For me, my blend door will not go full cold, if it's cranked to full cold I get the clicking for about 30 seconds and then it gives up trying to move the blend door. However if I move the dial just one click up from full cold, no clicks and everything works fine. I can move from hot to cold and back with no issues as long as I never go full cold.
Once you figure out if it is the blend door or the diverter, we can help you replace the defective part.
The gears don't strip out inside the actuator, the big exposed drive spline either loses a tooth or the housing cracks allowing the gears to slip past one another. Never seen one where the gears inside stripped out.
This can also happen with the rear blend door in the same fashion, but the clicking will be from the rear obviously.

Walt460

Reaction score
So mine is the blend door and replacing the actuator has not fixed the problem. So now what do I do to stop the "clicking" sound?

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which "actuator" did you replace? According to your signature, it seems you have a 2011 XLT Premium. This means you have dual-zone climate control so there are three blend door actuators (driver, front passenger, and rear).