Feels like slipping, then a tapping sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yep-Retired

Reaction score
2013 King Ranch EL 4WD
Original papers say
5.4L SOHC 24-valve v8 FFV Engine
But on clearvin.com it says
5.4L v8 SOHC 16V FFV

Any advice welcome...here's the situation:
Occasionally noticed what felt like tires slipping when going up incline. (Tires have less than 1000 miles) Today was bad, noticed it after about 20 minutes of driving. Made a stop and vehicle acted cranky on startup. On return trip every time the road inclined I had a slipping sensation..like when I was a kid & my bike chain slipped. It also was slow to move off the line when I accelerated from a full stop. Turned off everything and tried to hear but the road noise was too loud. Once home (about a 35 minute trip in dry 60 degree weather), I could definitely hear tapping noise. When husband gets home I hope to replicate it for him, but I've been reading this forum and watching YouTube videos to get a head start.

Thoughts so far are:
*Timing belt loose
*Spark plugs/coils bad (replaced some of those a few years ago but can't remember what brought that about)
*Low oil, even though gauge says ok. I was unable to pull dipstick due to low strength but hoping hubby can)

Any thoughts from you all? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yep-Retired

Yep-Retired

Reaction score
None.
Have checked oil now & it's fine.
Husband says it's likely missing.... mentioned "tappit" ??

We aren't mechanics but I know a local shop that should help

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2013 King Ranch EL 4WD
Original papers say
5.4L SOHC 24-valve v8 FFV Engine
But on clearvin.com it says
5.4L v8 SOHC 16V FFV

Any advice welcome...here's the situation:
Occasionally noticed what felt like tires slipping when going up incline. (Tires have less than 1000 miles) Today was bad, noticed it after about 20 minutes of driving. Made a stop and vehicle acted cranky on startup. On return trip every time the road inclined I had a slipping sensation..like when I was a kid & my bike chain slipped. It also was slow to move off the line when I accelerated from a full stop. Turned off everything and tried to hear but the road noise was too loud. Once home (about a 35 minute trip in dry 60 degree weather), I could definitely hear tapping noise. When husband gets home I hope to replicate it for him, but I've been reading this forum and watching YouTube videos to get a head start.

Thoughts so far are:
*Timing belt loose
*Spark plugs/coils bad (replaced some of those a few years ago but can't remember what brought that about)
*Low oil, even though gauge says ok. I was unable to pull dipstick due to low strength but hoping hubby can)

Any thoughts from you all? Thanks in advance!

I had a similar situation with my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 - purchased new. Strictly passenger use - no towing.

The sensation almost felt as though I was driving on a rumble strip on the side of the road - with no noise. 2WD or AWD.

The issue occurred when going up a hill (not mountainous) or driving at 40 - 50 - 60 mph, then slightly pushing the gas pedal to accelerate (not full throttle).

The transmission was rebuilt by my Ford dealer - it had a defective torque converter and several other internal parts. It was repaired under terms of my Ford Premium ESP. There was no check-engine or wrench light displayed. The dealer technician said he retrieved various transmission trouble codes.

About 10,000 miles before the failure, at about 60,*** miles, I had the dealer change the transmission fluid and filter (not a flush).

Your engine does not have a timing belt.

OP
OP
Yep-Retired

Yep-Retired

Reaction score
Thank you, I'm hoping it's nothing super expensive... hopefully I'll know this week & can post good news!

OP
OP
Yep-Retired

Yep-Retired

Reaction score
Update: we pretty much figured it was timing chain issues after watching many YouTube videos made by popularly recommended mechanics across the forum. The shop my husband trusts diagnosed & is now repairing my Expy. Timing chains, tracks, guides, oil pump (going back with a high volume one), phasers & phaser valve bodies. I should have it back my middle of next week. Don't have exact figure yet but it'll be just over $5K. It just turned 120,000 miles the day before all this happened. I'm hoping this will keep my baby on the road a long, long time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett