Cruise Control Recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Apparently it's easy enough to disconnect the switch. Probably a good idea to electrical tape up both ends as well. Of course. you won't have cruise control anymore, but it beats having a vehicle on fire.

Sh0wty

Reaction score
Ford Should Replace it for all expy's imo. why should I suffer the consequences of not having cruise control because of their inconsistency..

Anyone else agree?

OP
OP
K

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with you, but I believe Ford is looking at it from a money standpoint, unforetunately.

They way I understand it, if Ford chooses a voluntarily recall, Ford gets to decide how to execute it. If the NHTSA executes the recall, than Ford is at the NHTSA's mercy as to how the recall is executed. Ford voluntarily decided to recall year 2000 vehicles (certains makes), so Ford saved themselves some money by limiting the recalls. NOW, the NHTSA is conducting an investigation which could end up meaning more recalls (and more money for Ford). I'm sure Ford is trying to come up with a way to prevent the loss of money, somehow. Maybe Ford can do another voluntary recall to save their necks (say, extend the recall to 2001 vehicles - for example). Though, I don't know if they're allowed now that the NHTSA is involved.

I think Ford should replace all vehicles that carry the same or similarly designed defective part, but I'm sure Ford's financial people would probably disagree with me.

OP
OP
K

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
UGH - Finally got around to disconnecting the cruise control switch.

It's easy enough on any pre-2003 vehicle (as far as Expeditions go) because the switch is located on top of the brake master cylinder and unplugs very easily.

On 2003 and beyond, the switch is located underneath and difficult to get to unless you're good at contorting your arm or you take apart the air filter assembly.

The switch is removed via a tab. The tab is facing the firewall, so you'll need to feel for it. It's closest to the wiring (away from the cylinder and closer to the ground if that makes any sense).

Once you find the tab, you need to depress it and pull downward.

The air filter is in the way and I didn't bother removing it and basically kept contorting my arm about every other evening until it finally came undone today.

OP
OP
K

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finally got around to driving the truck.

When I disconnected the "supposed" cruise control switch, it looks like I disconnected the AdvancTrac instead.

Upon starting the vehicle, I'm immediately greated with Check AdvancTrac and the little light comes on indicating that AdvancTrac is off.

I engage cruise control and I'm still able to turn cruise control on and maintain a speed.

So, it looks like the switch directly underneath is the brake master cylinder IS NOT the cruise control switch.

I guess I'll reconnect the switch and pull the fuse for the cruise control at this point.

This is a Ford 2003 EB EXPY

OP
OP
K

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford Safety Recall #05S28 - Supplement #5

This recall now includes the following vehicles

Certain 1994-1996 Model Year Bronco
1994-2002 F-150/250 (Under 8500 GVW)
1997-2002 Ford Expedition
1998-2002 Navigator and 2002 Blackwood Vehicles Equipped with Speed Control
Speed Control Modification System

I posted the recall notice I received below. It's temporarily hosted, so I don't know how long the image will stay up.

Good luck all.

my.php

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik