Dang, rear main seal leak!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
StealthyBulldog

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Before you replace that rear main, make sure that's the problem. If you had your oil changed recently and the oil was overfilled, it could be leaking due having too much oil in it.

It was noticed when they were doing my oil change. Couple weeks later I went and they put a dye in to see and be sure where exactly it was leaking. I put a few 100 kms on it and took it back for them to examine. I haven't actually seen anything on the driveway up to this point.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I was told years ago, a bad rear main seal or leaky valve covers, is a sign of excess crankcase pressure. That's from blow by, aka worn pistons, scored cylinder walls or a blocked exhaust. I recommend a compression test.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was told years ago, a bad rear main seal or leaky valve covers, is a sign of excess crankcase pressure. That's from blow by, aka worn pistons, scored cylinder walls or a blocked exhaust. I recommend a compression test.

Perhaps it's caused from a bad or clogged crank case vent.

OP
OP
StealthyBulldog

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Perhaps it's caused from a bad or clogged crank case vent.

Thanks for the ideas, I'll mention it to the service people

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oof that’s rough, dropping the trans off is a difficult on these modern vehicles too. Lots of fasteners and lines/mounts up there. You want a good tech.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank1971