DIY cam phaser

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott482

Reaction score
I’m sure this topic has been absolutely beaten to death but I’m just curious how everyone’s experience went doing their own cam phasers. I’m definitely no mechanic but I’ve done quite a few larger projects on Toyotas. Is it a pretty straight forward project? Did you do just the phasers or the timing chains as well? Did you take it to a dealer and how much did you pay? I have used the search function just trying to start a conversation because I’m on the fence of doing it myself or taking it in. Thanks guys. I have a 18 expo Max platinum

jmurphy4369

Reaction score
I am having the same issue with my navi... last owner just did an egnie swap... the issue i have it just started sounding like a diesel... tried unplugging the VVT sensors and it drives perfect with the exception of gas milage and acceleration (I dont drive hard) the valve cover looks like it is leaking oil from the vvt connector hole... so would you trying changing out the selinods first or is that the sign the phasers are shot?