Buying used 4th gen, possible problems like transmission, rear and front end, cam phasers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MrLauderdale

Reaction score
I’d buy the lowest mileage one you can afford, and put the Ford ESP Premium Care warranty on it and enjoy. Our 2018 had a fair numberof probs, the warranty covered them……mostly cam phasers and such around 75k.

We ditched it for a new 22 Suburban which we absolutely HATED and traded back in on another Expedition.

our 2019 Max Platinum we bought with 26k miles. Now has 46k and just had the CDF drum replaced / rebuild, reflash, valve body etc on the trans, under warranty.

Absolutely love the vehicles. Nothing drives as nice, they’re incredible highway haulers. Might be slightly higher maintenance than some other stuff out there, but I think it’s a trade off worth making. Get the warranty and enjoy it.
Thanks so much Jettix2! That’s a lot of great Information!

OP
OP
M

MrLauderdale

Reaction score
The best advice is to purchase a 1 owner, certified pre-owned Expedition from a Ford dealership. My 2019 Platinum was like new, 1 owner, with 60,000 miles, excellent service records, came with new Michelin Defender tires, and every bell and whistle you can think of. I have a 12,000-mile bumper to bumper warranty and a 7-year 100,000-mile powertrain warranty, with 32,000 miles and 3 years left. Before purchasing, try every feature, right down to lighting, to make sure everything works, and have the dealership fix what doesn't. Example, mine had a passenger halo not lighting up halfway. Luckily, I caught it because it would have cost me $1200 to replace the headlight housing.
Great information! Thanks a lot Mr Big!

manuelb

Reaction score
ai bought my 19 and didnt have

I have this issue. When it shifts up into 5th from 3rd or 4th, I can feel the the harsh shift. All other shifts into any other gear is like butter . It only 5th I can feel the "harsh" shift. Starting to happen more and more now too.

manuelb

Reaction score

I have this issue. When it shifts up into 5th from 3rd or 4th, I can feel the the harsh shift. All other shifts into any other gear is like butter . It only 5th I can feel the "harsh" shift. Starting to happen more and more now too.

manuelb

Reaction score

The same thing happens to me with my 2020 Ford Expedition, can I solve the problem?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire