Do you really need an extended warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lscrx

Reaction score
I have a base 2019 XLT... zero options, not even a power liftgate.

I was thinking about buying an extended warranty but I'm currently only at just over 30k miles. The only things that really concern me are the engine/transmission, so I think I'm going to hang on until I get closer to 60k miles before deciding on a warranty. My track record with cars is that I rarely keep them for more than a couple of years, so realistically I won't own the Expedition anymore when the factory powertrain warranty expires.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've NEVER bought an extended warranty until this Expedition. Theres just soooo much electronic crap on it to fail. When that starts failing, I can't fix it myself, so I know it will be very expensive to fix.
Thats my only reasoning...

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, for a little over $2k for up to 125k miles is probably worth it I guess. I still have a few months to decide, but will be leaning toward getting it.

It will be worth it when you want your turbos replaced for rattling!

OP
OP
L

Lumos

Reaction score
Thank y'all for the great discussion!

After reading your advice, I'm still rather undecided. I tend to keep vehicles for 10-15 years so I'd like to keep this one around. Cars are an expense, not an investment, but you generally minimize your cost by driving it as long as possible...as long as it doesn't eat you in maintenance costs.

Most repairs I've needed in the past would have taken place after the extended warranty expires. I also find that with youtube videos, I can often do a repair myself for around $20 and an hour or two of my time that would cost $500 at a dealership. I had to laugh at how much they charge you to change out a cabin air filter! Takes 2 minutes but they seem to charge an hour of labor!

Is there a website to use to evaluate/negotiate an extended warranty or do you need to speak to a person? They have bumper to bumper warranties for up to 10 years? The terms I've read about extended warranties is that they don't seem to cover anything that might actually break.

Thank you!

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can only buy an OEM extended warranty before the base warranty expires (3 years/36,000 miles for Ford, 4 years/50,000 miles for Lincoln). You cna buy them later with a dealership inspection for a much higher price.

Kanderson

Reaction score
I have had an extended warranty on my last two Expeditions, mostly for the electronics. My brother is a car salesman and recommended and when my back up camera needed to be replaced on my 2015 I was certainly glad that I had done it.

EWOregon

Reaction score
It's an insurance policy. I paid for the extended warranty simply for peace of mind. I paid for earthquake insurance on my house in Oregon...same reason, peace of mind. You may or may not get your money back in service...but if you need it...you'll be pleased you had it. If you are a mechanic...it's not worth it. I'm not a mechanic.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've already used half of the cost of my extended warranty in the rental vehicle alone. I say get it and take the worry out of ownership. These things have so many bells and whistles (especially the platinum) that something is eventually going to break and it will be expensive to fix.

Last edited:

Ronb1

Reaction score
Yes, I think its absolutely necessary. I have a ‘19 Limited and it’s been nothing but trouble. 17 service hits on the CARFAX report. Just one example is I’m on the 3rd rear view camera at 21 months of driving. Funny how you’re switching from Toyota because that’s where I’m headed! It was my first Ford, and definitely my last!
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Our Finance guy at the dealership also made it sound like we had to buy right then. His prices were ridiculously high and he lied about the plan length to my wife and I.
I did a little research and settled on an 8year/100k miles $0 deductible Premiumcare ESP extended warranty from Zeigler Ford. We added the Key Services and Interior/Exterior lighting also. Total $2,080.
With the complexity of cars nowadays I felt I needed it and it's my first one ever. These Ford factory warranties do not start after your 3yr/36k mile factory warranty. For my new Expy Limited MAX, the 8yr plan starts on the day of purchase.

Last edited: