Do you really need an extended warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"So where do folks recommend 'shopping around', other Ford Dealerships?"
Flood Ford, Lombard Ford are two that members here have used. I used Flood Ford myself.

Highlightreel

Reaction score
When I bought my Expy in June 2019 I was nervous about not buying from my local dealer (having it be a legit warranty from another source) AND nervous about really trusting people on the forum since I was newer to this site, and the internet is full of d-bags and no-it-alls nowadays.

...BUT I have to say, in hindsight, I now trust the people on here and would 100%, if not buy from, use as a negotiating tool Flood Ford or Lombard prices.

In fact, I had filled out info on Lombard Ford site and after not buying it, they sent follow up emails offering better deals and a promo code for even cheaper warranty. I probably spent around $1000 more on my warranty with my dealer than Lombard.

I'd say another "Win" for this forum and the users. Thanks!

Last edited:

iamretired

Reaction score
Bought a used 2015 with about 80k in 2019, read postings here and other places. I have some mechanical experience and now 71 years old, have investigated automotive complaints in the 80's and found good and bad dealerships. I was not thrilled with 3.5 motor but no longer V8's, and price of vehicle were a deal for me. Posts about drip can and other concerns, I researched extended warranty's and got one from Lombardo ford in CT, for around 15 hundred and got coverage for 3 more years and think to 130k something. My traveling to other states was the main concern and have it covered. Now covid crap has delayed travel plans but over all, I think it is a better use of a warranty then paying for a engine or trans. The only issue with vehicle presently is back up camera works one day and not the next, saying not available. I remain surprised with the engine and this vehicle can move when I want it too.

Last edited:

Janky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It just occurred to me the max ESP is 8 years since purchase. I don't drive that many miles so I only need a 75k mile plan, and that is a stretch. Brings the price down quite a bit. Thanks for the suggestions - likely going with Flood Ford for about $1670 with key coverage. Gonna sleep on it.

Janky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Follow up question - Do dealers give you a bad time if you do your own regular maintenance, like oil/filter changes? I would hate to drop $1700 bucks then tell me I voided the warranty by putting in a non-Motorcraft oil filter.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FWIW I bought a lifetime service agreement for my 2011 Grand Cherokee Summit. It cost around $2K. That GC has 95K on it now and had to have the air suspension system rebuilt. It was WELL worth the cost of the lifetime warranty! The dealer had it for 3 weeks, replaced the compressor, etc. And that was before they realized it had a lifetime warranty. They also replaced a faulty switch on the back hatch.

get the warranty if you plan to keep the vehicle 6+ years. Otherwise roll the dice I think.

i’ll be buying a warranty once Christmas and ammo buying stops denting my wallet!

tim5055

Reaction score
Well, I seldom if ever purchase an extended warranty. But, as others have said with the electronics on this vehicle I wanted one.

I purchased it from Lombard and hoped I never needed it.

I now have 55,000 miles on my 18 Max Platinum.

So far I have had all of the cam phasers replaces as well as the cellular communications module replaced twice. They just did the TSB for the tailgate opening n it's own, as they call it "uncommanded".

I'm figuring I'm at the point of breaking even so any future repairs will be my bonus for purchasing the warranty.

upload_2020-12-14_8-21-42.png

CaptainKrunch

Reaction score
Extended warranties are for people that are bad at math and also bad at being financially responsible. If you did the math you would see that about 12 percent of the money you spend on the warranty is actually used to fix your vehicle. And financially responsible people have a fully funded emergency fund and money saved for anticipated car repairs; they pay for repairs out of pocket.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I purchased mine from a dealer and it came with a lifetime powertrain warranty at no additional cost. It is paying for itself in dividends right now. Transmission started slipping over Thanksgiving. Its currently having a new transmission installed at 83k miles. $6-7k cost, $100 deductible out of my pocket. So long as I maintain the vehicle per owners manual, its covered as long as I own it, unlimited time and mileage.

Reaction score
I bought the extended warranty for several reasons, most of which are noted already in this thread (10 speed tranny, 3.5L turbos, etc). But I also keep my cars a looooong time (350K on a 2000 Explorer), so having the extended warranty to cover things that I cannot fix seems like a good investment. Only $2K for 150K mile coverage. And this is through Ford, so hopefully hassle-free.