Drive Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevinbender

Reaction score
I had my transmission flashed because it would jump when going from drive to park. Now when I use Sport Mode, the car will stay in 4a instead of switching back to 2h after the car is turned off. The sport mode turns off, but it leaves the expy in 4a. Anyone have this issue?
2018 limited

BFD350

Reaction score
My 2018 Expy Platinum has operated like that since day 1. It makes me avoid the Sport mode.

I don’t get how Ford allows that functionality. Seems like sloppy coding.

2018 Expedition Platinum
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

Kevinbender

Reaction score
Thanks for the response! Hmmm, I guess I never noticed it Before, or turned off sport mode before turning the vehicle off. Seems like a dumb design to need to switch it back to 2h.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yep, Same here. The 4A stays engaged between startups regardless of what first engaged it.

Stay in normal, but engage 4A, turn off the the Expy, turn back on and 4A is still engaged.

The Mode change has nothing to do with it.

I actually drive is Sport A LOT, but turn off 4A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rancidlunchmeat

2019 XLT FX4
Reaction score
Yeah, this doesn't have anything to do with anything you had done to the transmission. It always stays in 4A like Loki said. It would be nice if it stayed in Sport, but I've heard rumors that they can't stay in drive modes they weren't EPA tested in as default.

Dumb if true, but sounds about right.

Honestly, since moving, I've fallen out of love with my Expy. It was great when I had a 30 minute highway commute and was taking weekend road trips all the time. Now that I moved and all my driving is stoplight to stoplight in the burbs and no road trips due to Corona shutting everything down, it's a big bouncy unwieldy vehicle.

To counter this, I have to put it into sport every time I start the vehicle to firm up the steering and to also get the turbo V6 and the 10 speed tranny to play nice together at non-highway speeds.

Last edited: