E85 tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can I deduce, our stock fuel pumps are safe to use E85?

Only if the vehicle was designated and manufactured for use of E85 fuel.

Vehicles designed to use E85 fuel have various “hardened” fuel system parts, to withstand the corrosiveness of the fuel.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Retired automotive fuel systems engineer here
Everything built to run E10 has to be ethanol compatible
Must be that way so any mix from E10 to E100 will not damage fuel system components
However injectors, HP fuel pumps must have adequate capacity to accommodate the higher flow rates needed
When ZFG does a E85 calibration he must limit his calibration to one that is acceptable with the flow rates of the stock injectors, HP fuel pump etc.
If the injectors & HP fuel are upgraded than much higher HP & Torque ratings are possible due to the very high octane & the latent heat of evaporation of the ethanol:33:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can I deduce, our stock fuel pumps are safe to use E85?

Yep! Ran it in our 2017 for over a year. I have about 8K on it in my 2020, out of 12K. I also run E50 in my 2020 Explorer ST, and ran E70 in my 2016 Edge.

Anybody who tells you the fuel system can’t handle it doesn’t understand chemistry or modern engine manufacturing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Gents, appreciate the knowledge. Ran E85 in the 2010 Limited EL every chance I could when it was cheap in the Dallas area.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Only if the vehicle was designated and manufactured for use of E85 fuel.

Vehicles designed to use E85 fuel have various “hardened” fuel system parts, to withstand the corrosiveness of the fuel.

HaHaHa. You are stuck in 30 years ago. This is NOT the case with any modern fuel system. Please STOP spreading this misinformation.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Retired automotive fuel systems engineer here
Everything built to run E10 has to be ethanol compatible
Must be that way so any mix from E10 to E100 will not damage fuel system components

When ZFG does a E85 calibration he must limit his calibration to one that is acceptable with the flow rates of the stock injectors, HP fuel pump etc.

Thanks! People have a hard time understanding the first part!!!

He does. Adam@ZFG is very knowledgeable on running Ethanol.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
HaHaHa. You are stuck in 30 years ago. This is NOT the case with any modern fuel system. Please STOP spreading this misinformation.

If you will look up random fuel system components for vehicles, why then are different components (different part numbers) specified for E85 designed vehicles and non-E85 vehicles?

Why do manufacturers use a different (labeled) fuel cap or fuel filler opening for E85 vehicles?

I reviewed the vehicle owner’s manual for my 2015 Expedition Limited and it cautions not to use fuel with more than 15% ethanol or E85 fuel, unless the vehicle is designated a FFV (flex fuel vehicle).

I am not spreading misinformation - and you are simply wrong.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you will look up random fuel system components for vehicles, why then are different components (different part numbers) specified for E85 designed vehicles and non-E85 vehicles?

Why do manufacturers use a different (labeled) fuel cap or fuel filler opening for E85 vehicles?

I reviewed the vehicle owner’s manual for my 2015 Expedition Limited and it cautions not to use fuel with more than 15% ethanol or E85 fuel, unless the vehicle is designated a FFV (flex fuel vehicle).

I am not spreading misinformation - and you are simply wrong.

It has to do with tuning and whether the fuel system can handle the additional flow requirements for E85 at full demand in all conditions.

It has ZERO to do whether the fuel system can handle the physical fuel.

Let me give you an example. There is a version of the 5.0 Coyote in the F-150 that is FFV certified. The Expedition, and the rest of the 150’s use the exact same tank, fuel lines, and pump, and the injectors in the FFV and Non-FFV are the same. The reason for the difference is a sensor, and tuning.

All the fuel lines and components are designed to handle the increased solvency of Ethanol vs Gasoline in modern vehicles. If it can handle E15 it can handle E85.

PS - My degree is chemistry.

PSS - The guy above who actually did fuel systems for a living also said the same thing.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also for clarity…I am not stating this stuff based on theory. I have run above E30 in now 5 EcoBoost powered Fords. 3 of them Expeditions.

Our 2015 ran E30 for several tank fulls. I was not using ZFG at the time. The tuners maximum for that 3rd Gen, 1st Gen 3.5TTEB was E30.

When I started doing Tuning on my 16 Edge Sport, I started working with Adam@ZFG, and he is REALLY good, especially at tuning for Ethanol. We pushed what the Stock Pump could handle at full tilt. I ran E70 in it for 9 Months straight. Before that we worked up from E30 to E50 then to E70. It was traded in at 48K, 26K of that was E30 or higher.

Our 17 Expedition replaced the 15, ran on E50 or E85 many many times. We used it A LOT for travel, so it stayed on a 93 tune most of the 40K we owned it.

The 2020 Explorer that replaced my Edge, daily’s on E50.

The 2020 Expedition daily’s currently on E85.

This is actual experience, no BS.

Mac Attack

Reaction score
@LokiWolf

That's why I'm surprised you're so quick 0-60. I'm tapped out with the stock fuel pumps running an e30 mix and its the reason why I asked my earlier question what pumps you're running.

The jb4 has selectable boost based on fuel octane (including ethanol mixes) and mods. My 0-60 is slow because I can't get a good launch, but I run a 12.7 second quarter mile in an otherwise stock Navigator L with the heavy 22's.