Expedition is Back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JediKnight2

Reaction score
Finally got my 2006 Expedition back. PAINFUL bill...PHEwww. Ended up with new timing chain, phasers, lifters, oil pump and a PCM upgrade.

Now I've only driven this vehicle 4 days before it went into the shop. I do think I notice a change in the shifting points of the transmission. Seems to be quicker shifts. Might be my imagination.

I've also noticed that at idle, in drive at a stop light it's a little rough running. Nothing crazy like it's going to turn off, but noticeable miss. My question, as the mechanic is gone for the day, is because of the PCM update, is it having to relearn feedback from the sensors? I'm just wondering if I should be concerned or if it's just something the vehicle is going through to relearn. I looked at codes and I did get a U1900, which I assume is from other systems not having enough time to push information since the PCM update? Just curious. The techs did say that the spark plugs had NOT been changed like the seller said they were. They changed them for free for me. Which means the coils haven't been changed other than #4 which I saw a receipt for.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I don't get what is the pcm "upgrade" is for exactly? I did everything else to my 05 a year ago and it came back the same exact way it left no difference in driveability...

Also unless a coil fails YOU NEVER NEED TO CHANGE THEM, EVER!!!!! I'd confirm that they really changed the spark plugs by pulling one out otherwise I haven't googled the code yet but maybe forgot to plug an electrical pig tale or a vacuum line back when they tore it all apart

U1900 FORD - CAN Communication Bus Fault
Possible causes
  • Faulty / intermittent ignition switch connections
  • CAN Bus wiring intermittently open/shorted to power or ground
  • Faulty / intermittent connection at PCM
  • Faulty electrical connections at ABS Control Module
  • Faulty electrical connections at the instrument cluster
  • Poor connections at the trailer brake controller/trailer connector

OP
OP
J

JediKnight2

Reaction score
Their reasoning for the software upgrade was because they installed a newer high peformance oil pump? Something about changing it to a high pressure/high flow pump? I believe that's what they said. I can post up the invoice showing what all they did. They did replace all the spark plugs with Motor Craft Suppressor plugs

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
No need to post the bill, but can you please tell me the part number to the oil pump they used if it's on your bill

If I remember correctly there was the option for
1. Stock pressure stock volume
2. High pressure stock volume
3. Stock pressure high volume
4. High pressure high volume

And none of them required retuning of the ECU but they all recommended using 5W-30 oil not 5W-20

OP
OP
J

JediKnight2

Reaction score
I'll take a look, but I'm fairly sure it's #4. I know they did change me to 5W30. They also have me on a STRICT oil change schedule or my 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty on it all vanishes. I have to have the truck to them before 500 miles is driven so they can do an oil change and inspect the oil. I then have to have the oil changed with documentation every 3,000 miles.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Well sounds bogus that you have to follow such a strict diet lol but it's not impossible just annoying I think, anyways let me know the part number i can research it further more once i get a part number and then i can tell you if the CEL is due to the pump itself or if they F'd something up and don't wanna deal with cause warranty repairs doesn't pay as high

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think their covering their butts, can you blame them! They know the 2005-12 expeditions are troublesome to say the least. The oil change at 500 is cheap insurance. Are they giving you any deals on these early oil changes? 3k is a little cautious on their part, 5-7k with semi synthetic is more reasonable. I think they know the problems of this second/third gen motor, and don't want to eat unnecessary labor costs. They should have mentioned this mandatory oil change schedule before they sold you on the reman motor.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

DontBeJeff

Reaction score
I can see a PCM update, but not upgrade. Maybe they meant update? Those things are useful in keeping your vehicle running well as they make adjustments to the computer and how it handles everything the vehicle does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuziZ